Road layers are useful in preparing basemaps and analysis workflows for urban planning and development, change detection, infrastructure planning, and a variety of other applications. Digitizing roads from imagery is a time-consuming task and is commonly done by digitizing features manually. Deep learning models are highly capable of learning these complex semantics and can produce better results. Use this deep learning model to automate the task of road extraction and reduce the time and effort required.
To complete this workflow, the following are the license requirements:
- ArcGIS Desktop—ArcGIS Image Analyst and ArcGIS 3D Analyst extension for ArcGIS Pro
- ArcGIS Enterprise—ArcGIS Image Server with raster analytics configured
- ArcGIS Online—ArcGIS Image for ArcGIS Online
This model has the following characteristics:
- Input—Raster, mosaic dataset, or image service (30–50 centimeter spatial resolution).
- Output—Binary raster representing road and nonroad classes.
- Compute—This workflow is compute intensive and a GPU with compute capability of 6.0 or higher is recommended.
- Applicable geographies—This model is designed to work well in the United States, Canada, and Mexico.
- Architecture—This model uses the MultiTaskRoadExtractor model architecture implemented in ArcGIS API for Python.
- Accuracy metrics—This model has an mIOU score of 0.65.
Access and download the model
Download the Road Extraction—North America pretrained model from ArcGIS Living Atlas of the World. Alternatively, access the model directly from ArcGIS Pro using the Extract Roads ArcGIS Pro Project Template, or consume it in ArcGIS Image for ArcGIS Online.
- Browse to ArcGIS Living Atlas of the World.
- Sign in with your ArcGIS Online credentials.
- Search for Road Extraction—North America and open the item page from the search results.
- Click the Download button to download the model.
You can use the downloaded .dlpk file directly in ArcGIS Pro, or upload and use it in ArcGIS Enterprise. Additionally, you can fine-tune the pretrained model if necessary.
The following are the release notes:
| || |