Human settlements maps are useful in understanding growth patterns, population distribution, resource management, change detection, and a variety of other applications where information related to earth surface is required. Human settlements classification is a complex exercise and is hard to capture using traditional means. Deep learning models are highly capable of learning these complex semantics and can produce superior results.
To complete this workflow, the following are the license requirements:
- ArcGIS Desktop—ArcGIS Image Analyst extension for ArcGIS Pro
- ArcGIS Enterprise—ArcGIS Image Server with raster analytics configured
- ArcGIS Online—ArcGIS Image for ArcGIS Online
This model has the following characteristics:
- Input—Raster, mosaic dataset, or image service.
- Output—Classified raster with two classes: settlement and other.
- Compute—This workflow is compute intensive and a GPU with compute capability of 6.0 or higher is recommended.
- Applicable geographies—This model is designed to work well in the United States.
- Architecture—This model uses the U-net model architecture implemented in ArcGIS API for Python.
- Accuracy metrics—This model has an average precision score of 0.94.
Access and download the model
Download the Human Settlements Classification (Sentinel-2) pretrained model from ArcGIS Living Atlas of the World. Alternatively, access the model directly from ArcGIS Pro, or consume it in ArcGIS Image for ArcGIS Online.
- Browse to ArcGIS Living Atlas of the World.
- Sign in with your ArcGIS Online credentials.
- Search for Human Settlements Classification (Sentinel-2) and open the item page from the search results.
- Click the Download button to download the model.
You can use the downloaded .dlpk file directly in ArcGIS Pro, or upload and use it in ArcGIS Enterprise. Additionally, you can fine-tune the pretrained model if necessary.
The following are the release notes: