Land cover describes the surface of the earth. Land-cover maps are useful in urban planning, resource management, change detection, agriculture, and a variety of other applications in which information related to the earth's surface is required. Land-cover classification is a complex exercise and is difficult to capture using traditional means. Deep learning models are highly capable of learning these complex semantics and can produce superior results.
There are a few public datasets for land cover, but the spatial and temporal coverage of these public datasets may not always meet the user’s requirements. It is also difficult to create datasets for a specific time , as it requires expertise and time. Use this deep learning model to automate the manual process and reduce the required time and effort significantly.
To complete this workflow, the following are the license requirements:
- ArcGIS Desktop—ArcGIS Image Analyst extension for ArcGIS Pro
- ArcGIS Enterprise—ArcGIS Image Server with raster analytics configured
- ArcGIS Online—ArcGIS Image for ArcGIS Online
This model has the following characteristics:
- Input—Raster, mosaic dataset, or image service.
- Output—A classified raster with the eight classes as in the LA County land-cover dataset.
- Compute—This workflow is compute intensive and a GPU with compute capability of 6.0 or higher is recommended.
- Applicable geographies—The model is expected to work well in the United States and will produce the best results in the urban areas of California.
- Architecture—This model uses the U-net model architecture implemented in ArcGIS API for Python.
- Accuracy metrics—This model has an accuracy of 84.8 percent.
Access and download the model
Download the Land Cover Classification (Aerial Imagery) pretrained model from ArcGIS Living Atlas of the World. Alternatively, access the model directly from ArcGIS Pro, or consume it in ArcGIS Image for ArcGIS Online.
- Browse to ArcGIS Living Atlas of the World.
- Sign in with your ArcGIS Online credentials.
- Search for Land Cover Classification (Aerial Imagery) and open the item page from the search results.
- Click the Download button to download the model.You can use the downloaded .dlpk file directly in ArcGIS Pro, or upload and use it in ArcGIS Enterprise. Additionally, you can fine-tune the pretrained model if necessary.
The following are the release notes:
| || |