Use the Media Map template to maximize the potential of a map with map navigation tools, time animation, and swipe. Display and animate time-enabled data to highlight changes over time. This app is designed to fit into small spaces on a web page or as a stand-alone app. Set the option to disable scrolling in the map and configure pop-ups to appear when hovering to optimize the app for embedding. You can also enable the print tool to allow users to save the map to a file for export. (To learn more, see the blog article about using Media Map.)
Choose this template to create an app for use cases such as the following examples:
- Support a map with descriptive text by including an information panel with a title and description, or a splash screen to help orient your audience and communicate your message.
- Provide an app with common map tools, including a legend, layer list, basemap toggle, overview map, swipe, and time slider.
- Allow app users to choose between two basemaps to explore different perspectives.
The Media Map app has no specific data requirements.
The following list includes key settings and capabilities that you can configure for this app:
- Hover pop-ups—Provides users quick access to attribute information that appears when hovering over a feature in the map.
- Locator map—Shows an inset map with the app's map area in the context of a broader area.
- Magnifier—Magnifies a portion of the map.
- Elevation profile—Generates an elevation profile graph across an input line feature that can be selected in the map or from drawing a single-segment or multisegment line using the tool.
- Bookmarks—Zooms and pans the map to a collection of preset extents that are saved in the map.
- Measurement tools—Provides tools to measure distance and area in the map and find and convert coordinates.
- Disable scroll—Prevents the map from zooming when app users scroll. Disable scrolling in the map if your app will be used primarily on a mobile device or embedded in a website.
- Navigation boundary—Restrict map navigation to a particular region and zoom scale to maintain focus on key map areas. You can also rotate the map or prevent map rotation.
- Basemap toggle—Changes the look of the map by switching to a different basemap.
- Layer list—Displays a list of layers with options to turn visibility off and on in the map. This setting also allows opening a layer's attribute table, which includes an option for users to export records as a .csv file.
- Swipe tool—Compares two layers in the map by viewing them simultaneously.
- Print and Screenshot—Generate an image from the app that can be printed or saved as a screenshot.
- URL parameter—Displays the app in a predefined way based on a custom URL parameter that users can append to the app URL. For example, if the map contains a feature layer with parcel information, you can specify a custom parameter name (such as parcel) and associate it with a layer and field. Users can find specific parcels by appending the parameter to the app URL as a custom search like this: index.html?parcel=3045.
- Time—Provides a configurable time slider that animates changes in data over time. The map must be time enabled.
- Language switcher—Allows you to provide translations for your custom text and create a multilingual app.
- Attribute filter—Allows you to configure filter options for the map that are available to app users.
All Instant Apps templates include settings for a Home button and zoom controls, a legend, and the ability to search the map or data.