The Sidebar template includes a set of tools and options that appear in a side panel next to the map. You can include essential map tools for exploring the map and bookmarks to zoom to specific regions. Provide editing tools so users can add and update features in the map. Configure filters that they can use to gain more information about the data. (To learn more, see the blog article about using Sidebar.)
Choose this template to create an app for use cases such as the following examples:
- Showcase a detailed map of population data with supplementary text for further explanation.
- Allow data reviewers to investigate and update records with editing tools.
- Present public services in a map that your audience can filter for the types of services they need.
The Sidebar app has no specific data requirements.
The following list includes key settings and capabilities that you can configure for this app:
- Cover page—Introduces the purpose of the app.
- Layer list—Displays a list of layers with icons to turn visibility off and on in the map. You can choose which layers to include in the tool at run time. This setting also allows opening a layer's attribute table, which includes an option for users to export records as a .csv file.
- Bookmarks—Zooms and pans the map to a collection of preset extents that are saved in the map.
- Pop-up—Presents pop-up content in the side panel of the app rather than in the map.
- Edit tools—Provides options to add and update features in editable layers. Users can turn on snapping for more efficient and precise editing.
- Utility network trace—Traces how resources flow through a utility network. This tool requires that the web map include a utility network service and named trace configurations (supported at ArcGIS Enterprise 10.9 and later). For services published at 11.1 or earlier, the ArcGIS Utility Network user type extension is required.
- Details—Shows the description content from the source map's item details in the side panel of the app.
- Filter—Filters data in the map based on predefined options.
- Basemap gallery—Displays a collection of basemaps in the side panel that users can add to the map. You can use the default set or choose a group that contains the basemaps to offer in the app.
- Language switcher—Allows you to provide translations for your custom text and create a multilingual app.
- Enable hover pop-up—Provides users quick access to attribute information that appears when hovering over a feature in the map.
- Find current location button—Detects the user's physical location and zooms the map to it. (This option only works over HTTPS.)
- Measurement tools—Provides tools to measure distance and area in the map and find and convert coordinates.
- Basemap toggle—Changes the look of the map by switching to a different basemap.
- Screenshot—Captures an image of the map to export.
- Export to PDF—Prints or exports a .pdf file of the map and applicable feature pop-ups.
All Instant Apps templates include settings for a Home button and zoom controls, a legend, and the ability to search the map or data.