You can use the World Elevation Services included in Scene Viewer in ArcGIS Online as the ground elevation data for your scene. In some areas, these services have a resolution of 30 meters. If you need a higher-resolution elevation layer, you can create a special tile package in ArcGIS Pro, add it to ArcGIS Online, and publish a hosted elevation layer to use for the ground in your scenes.
To publish a hosted elevation layer to ArcGIS Online, you must create a tile package in ArcGIS Pro (1.3 or later release). The tile package contains an elevation layer cache.
Create and publish a tile package
The following steps summarize the workflow to create the required tile package and publish it to ArcGIS Online.
- Use geoprocessing tools in ArcGIS Pro to create a tile package that uses LERC compression.
- Sign in to an ArcGIS Online organization.
You must have privileges to create content and publish hosted tile layers.
- Add the tile package to ArcGIS Online and create a hosted layer.
This may take several minutes to complete.
If other members of your organization need access to this hosted elevation layer, share it.
Add the hosted elevation layer to Scene Viewer
Once you publish the hosted elevation layer to ArcGIS Online, use it in scenes where a higher-resolution elevation layer is needed.
- Sign in to ArcGIS Online.
- Click Scene to open Scene Viewer.
- Add the hosted elevation layer as the ground layer for the scene.