Donut charts are used to show the proportions of categorical data, with the size of each piece representing the proportion of each category. A donut chart is created using a string field and a count of features, number, or rate/ratio field.
Donut charts can answer questions about your data, such as: What are the proportions of categories to the total?
An insurance company is reviewing the types of policies it offers to compare to the findings from a recently completed market research project. One step in the review is to compare the total value of policies in each policy class. A donut chart can be used to visualize the proportion of total insured value (TIV) in each policy class.
The donut chart above gives a visual representation of each policy class, with the total insured value in the center.
Create a donut chart
To create a donut chart, complete the following steps:
- Select one of the following data options:
- A string field
- A string field plus a number or rate/ratio field
If you do not select a number or rate/ratio field, your data will be aggregated and a count will be displayed.
You can search for fields using the search bar in the data pane.
- Create the donut chart using the following steps:
- Drag the selected fields to a new card.
- Hover over the Chart drop zone.
- Drop the selected fields on Donut Chart.
You can also create charts using the Chart menu above the data pane or the Visualization type button on an existing card. For the Chart menu, only charts that are compatible with your data selection will be enabled. For the Visualization type menu, only compatible visualizations (including maps, charts, or tables) will be displayed.
Donut charts are symbolized using unique symbols.
The Layer options button opens the Layer options pane. The Layer options pane contains the following functions:
- The Legend tab can be used to make selections on the chart. To change the color associated with a value, click the symbol and choose a color from the palette or enter a hex value. The pop out legend button displays the legend as a separate card on your page.
- The Appearance tab changes the outline color on the chart.
Each piece on the donut chart can represent either a count of features in that category or the sum of a number or rate/ratio field. The total of either the count or the specified field is displayed in the center of the donut chart.
Use the Flip card button to view the back of the card. The Card info tab provides information about the data on the card and the Export data tab allows users to export the data from the card.
When you create a donut chart, a result dataset with the string and number fields used to create the chart will be added to the data pane. The result dataset can be used to find answers with nonspatial analysis using the Action button .