A Key Performance Indicator (KPI) card is a method of evaluating the status of a measure by comparing key indicators to a target.
KPI cards can answer questions about your data, such as how close the indicator is to the target.
An environmental organization is keeping track of global greenhouse gas emissions with the short-term goal of reducing emissions below 1990 levels. A KPI card can be used to show the current emissions (indicator) compared to the 1990 level (target).
The same KPI card can also be displayed using a gauge layout, which shows a visual comparison of the indicator and the target.
Create a KPI card
To create a KPI card, complete the following steps:
- Select one of the following data options:
- One or two number or rate/ratio fields
- A string field , including subfields from a date/time field
If you use a string field, the number displayed will be a count of features.
- Create the KPI card by following these steps:
- Drag the selected fields to a new card.
- Hover over the Chart drop zone.
- Drop the selected fields on KPI.
You can also create charts using the Chart menu above the data pane or the Visualization type button on an existing card. For the Chart menu, only charts that are compatible with your data selection will be enabled. For the Visualization type menu, only compatible visualizations (including maps, charts, or tables) will be displayed.
By default, a KPI card is displayed as a number value. You can use the Legend button to change the parameters, style, and color of the card.
The Style tab can be used to change the layout between Number and Gauge. The Number layout displays the numeric value of the indicator and target. The Gauge layout displays the indicator and the target, along with a minimum and maximum value, on a semicircular scale. The Style tab can also be used to change the KPI color both above and below the target (Number layout) or the KPI color and the target color (Gauge layout).
Use the Options tab to change the following settings:
- If your layout is Number, the Options tab can be used to change the indicator and target values.
- If your layout is Gauge, the Options tab can be used to change the indicator, target, minimum, and maximum values.
When you create a KPI card, a result dataset with the indicator value is added to the data pane. The result dataset can be used to find answers with nonspatial analysis using the Action button .