Get map data from ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS Enterprise to add context, such as streets, footprints, terrain, and basemaps, to a new or existing CityEngine scene.
To use the Get Map Data tool, sign in to your account and do one of the following:
- Choose Build a City from Map Data from the CityEngine welcome screen to create a scene from downloaded data.
- Select File > Get Map Data from the main menu to import downloaded data into an existing scene.
To download map data into CityEngine, follow these steps:
- Navigate to the area of interest.
- Click Set extent and specify the extent of the downloaded data.
You can also do the following:
- Change the size and location by adjusting the rectangle.
- Click Clear Extent to remove the extent.
- Search for a location.
- Click Select Basemap to change the type of basemap from the drop-down menu.
- The Get Map Data tool allows you to select supported basemaps configured in your organization's portal basemap gallery.
- When layers are available in a basemap such as Dark Gray Canvas, click Layers to turn on and off individual layers, such as labels.
- There is a maximum limit for the extent.
- In an existing CityEngine scene, if an extent is farther than 500 kilometers from the scene, a red rectangle appears. CityEngine displays an error at the top prompting you to change the location of the extent or create a scene.
- Specify the settings for the downloaded data.
See the Get Map Data settings section below for more information.
- Click OK.
- If you choose to download OpenStreetMap (OSM) data, an additional dialog box appears where you can configure the OSM options. When the OSM dialog box appears, you can accept the default settings and click Finish, or click Next and review the settings of each option you checked.
- Map imagery, elevation, and OSM data, such as building footprints and streets, are downloaded according to your settings.
- All data is added to the scene. Default rules from ESRI.lib are assigned to the OSM data (see OpenStreetMap for more information).
- Data is saved to the /maps folder of the current project.
The following information can help you improve the quality of the OSM network data imported into CityEngine:
- The graph networks are usually contained in the highway layer in the layer list of the OSM dialog box.
- You can expand the highway layer and select or deselect the different network types. For example, you may want only the major streets in the scene.
- After running the tool, the graph networks are merged into one graph layer in CityEngine.
- You can import the map.osm file from the project/maps folder multiple times. This allows you to add the highway layer a number of times into CityEngine and create different graph layers to give you greater control of the OSM network data.
- After the OSM data is added to the scene, you may need to manually clean up the networks to improve the quality of the data.
See the Import OSM data section in Tutorial 4: Import streets for more information.
Get Map Data settings
The Get Map Data tool includes the following settings:
Note:The ratio of the image size dimensions matches the ratio of the extent width and height. Consequently, the image size dynamically changes as the extent size changes.
Esri World Elevation
Esri provides a comprehensive elevation map of the world offering terrain at different scales. See Elevation Coverage Map for more information.
Note:Elevation data is only available for subscribed users or those with an ArcGIS organizational account.
Open Street Map
You may experience long download times if the extent is too large.