This functionality is currently only supported in Map Viewer Classic. It will be available in a future release of Map Viewer.
If you have privileges to create content, you can customize the style of any vector tile layer, including vector basemaps, in Map Viewer Classic. This allows you to make the same style available in other maps without having to redefine it in each map, save a copy of the layer, download the layer's style file from the layer's item page, edit the style, and update your copy of the hosted vector tile layer to use the new style.
For example, you can change the style of an Esri vector basemap to better suit your organization's brand requirements. You can make changes to the layer's colors, patterns, icons, and labels. If you want to customize a vector tile layer that you don't own, you must first save a copy of the layer as an item and then make style changes to the copied layer.
The copy of the hosted vector tile layer that you save still references the original vector tiles. If the owner of the hosted vector tile layer deletes the layer or stops sharing it with you, you no longer have access to the data. Similarly, if the owner of the hosted vector tile layer replaces the layer's contents with a layer that does not include your new style, the style you defined on your copy may no longer function.
Follow these steps to update the style of a vector tile layer using the Change Style button in Map Viewer Classic.
- Verify that you are signed in to ArcGIS Online and have privileges to create content.
- In Map Viewer Classic, add the vector tile layer that has the style you want to update.
- If necessary, click Details and click Content.
- Under the layer you added, click Change Style .
- Create a style as follows:
- In the Save style as window, specify a title, tags, summary, and folder location for your new layer.
- Click Save Style.
A layer item that stores the new style is created in your content. This layer item references the data in the hosted vector tile layer; the data is not copied or duplicated.
- In the Change Style window, make the style changes you want. For more information, see the ArcGIS Vector Tile Style Editor documentation.
- When finished, click Save style and close.
Your style changes are displayed in the map and automatically saved with your layer. You can use this new layer item whenever you want to apply this style to the vector tile layer.
You can manually change a vector tile layer's style with the Edit JSON action and apply your changes by clicking Update. Alternatively, you can save a copy of the layer, download the associated style file (root.json) from the layer's item page, edit the file using a JSON editor, and update your copy of the vector tile layer with the new style. For information about manually changing the style of vector tile layers, see Mapbox GL Style Reference and Mapbox vector tile specification.