Every item, including sites, pages, and web maps, that is created or shared with ArcGIS Hub has its own sharing controls so that you can choose who can view and edit the content shared on your sites and pages. By default, all new items created with ArcGIS Hub are shared privately with the site's or initiative's core team group and content group.
Note:A group is a way for people to organize items around a topic or purpose. ArcGIS Hub uses groups to help you organize the content you want to share on your sites, pages, and initiatives. For more information on your site's or initiative's default groups, see How do I add content?
To change the sharing settings for an item, you must be an administrator or the item's owner (the person who originally created the item). Core team members can also adjust the sharing controls on items that are shared with the core team group. This includes the site and any pages.
Give view access
Sharing an item with a group that's labeled View Access provides members of that group with the ability to see the item, such as a page or story map, but they cannot edit the item unless they are the item's owner (the person who originally created the item).
By default, every site and initiative includes one View Access group called the site-name or initiative-name content group. Items that are automatically shared to this group include the following:
- Existing items added to a site's or initiative's content library
- Items uploaded to a content library using a URL
- New items created in a site or initiative
- A new survey's form, results feature layer, and inputs feature layer
Each initiative also has an initiative-name followers group which is also a view group.
Anyone added to a core team is automatically added as a member of the content group. This means that core team members can view a site's items and use them to design a site. A member cannot edit the item unless the item has also been shared with the core team.
- Sign in to ArcGIS Hub and open an item, such as a page or site, in edit mode.
- Click the visibility drop-down menu next to the Save button in the edit navigation bar and choose from the following visibility options:
- Public —Anyone, with or without an account, can see the item.
- Organization —Anyone who has an account with the ArcGIS Online organization that you're using to access ArcGIS Hub can see the item.
- Shared —Anyone who is a member of the group or groups that you select in the side panel under Share with Others can see the item.
- If you selected Shared, click Add Others and select a View Access group or groups.
Supporting teams, followers groups, and event attendees groups are all View Access groups. You can share specific items to only these groups by choosing Shared and selecting the appropriate group.
- Confirm your selection by clicking Select. Selected groups appear under Who Can View in the side panel.
Tip:Share a link to the item in a message with the member and request that they verify their access by opening the link and signing in with their staff account or community account.
Give edit access
If you want others to edit an item, you must share the item with a group that was configured with the update capability. In ArcGIS Hub, these groups have the Edit Access label.
You cannot configure an existing group with update capabilities, meaning you cannot turn a view group into an edit group. Edit groups are configured during group creation in ArcGIS Online. For more information, see Shared update groups.
Any member of an update group can edit an item shared to the group, including web maps, story maps, and datasets. By default, every site and initiative includes one Edit Access group called the core team. By sharing items with this group (your core team), members can edit shared content and adjust the item's sharing controls.
Items that are automatically shared with the core team include the following:
- All new sites, pages, and initiatives
- New items created in a site or initiative (ArcGIS Dashboards, story maps, web maps, and apps made with Web AppBuilder)
- A new survey's form, schema (system) feature layer, results feature layer, and inputs feature layer
- All new sites and pages
- Sign in to ArcGIS Hub and open an item, such as a page, in edit mode.
- In the side panel, click the toggle button .
- Click Add Others.
- Select an Edit Access group or groups.
- Click Select to confirm your selection. Selected groups appear under Who Can Edit in the side panel.
Tip:If you also want others to view the item, including the public, use the visibility drop-down menu next to Save on your site's edit navigation bar. This drop-down menu provides you with the option to share the item with all members of your organization or with the public.
Tip:Share a link to the item in a message with the member and request that they verify their access by opening the link and signing in with their staff account or community account. Those with edit access will see an edit button .