Add layers to new or existing scenes to help better tell you story. You can browse Scene Viewer resources such as ArcGIS Online, My Content, or the Living Atlas to add content and enhance your scene. You can also add a layer by entering a URL.
See Adding layers: global vs. local for layer requirements.
- Verify you are signed in to your account and open Scene Viewer.
- Click the Modify scene button at the upper left of your screen to open Designer.
What layers does Scene Viewer support?
Scene Viewer supports the following layers:
- Elevation layer
- Feature layer
- Imagery layer*
- Map image layer
- OGC Web Map Service (WMS)
- OGC Web Map Tile Service (WMTS)
- Scene layer
- 3D object
- Integrated mesh
- Point cloud
- Tile layer**
- Vector tile layer
*Scene Viewer doesn't support all the image rendering properties set in Map Viewer.
**This layer needs to be published to ArcGIS Enterprise. (ArcGIS Server 10.3–10.4.1 and ArcGIS Server 10.2.2 with the applied fix are also supported.)
See Scene Viewer layer support for information about ArcGIS Enterprise and ArcGIS Online layer availability in Scene Viewer.
Search for layers
Add layers to your scene by searching for existing layers from ArcGIS Online, My Content, My Favorites, My Groups, My Organization, or ArcGIS Living Atlas of the World.
To add layers to your scene, do the following:
- Click Add Layers.
- Choose layers from the following:
- ArcGIS Online—Includes layers you've added, layers from groups you belong to, and public layers.
- My Content—Includes layers you own.
- My Favorites—Includes layers you've marked as favorites.
- My Groups—Includes layers from groups to which you belong.
- Subscription content—Includes layers available through ArcGIS Marketplace if your organization assigned licenses for purchasing the data layers.
- <Organization Name>—Includes layers from the organization.
Living Atlas—Includes selected layers from ArcGIS Living Atlas of the World, including web scenes, feature and scene layers, imagery, demographics, and land cover.
When searching for layers to add to your scene, you can change the way the results are displayed, sort and filter the results to help you find the layers you need, and add results to your favorites list. You can also view details about each layer to learn more about it.
To narrow the results in Add Layers, type the name of the layer you want to add to your scene in the Search window.
- Do any of the following to help you find the layers you want:
- Type search terms in the search box. You can also use advanced search to help narrow your search results.
- Click the Filter button to narrow the search results.
For example, if you are searching for layers in an organization and content categories have been set up, you can use the Categories filter to narrow the results. You can also filter Living Atlas layer results using the ArcGIS standard category set or the Regions filter. Use the Status filter if you want your search to only return layers that have been marked as authoritative. The filter options you see depend on where you are searching for layers, and whether and how you are signed in.
To limit search results based on the current view, select Only show content within map area. For example, if your scene is zoomed to Nevada, USA, your search results are ordered and based on your current view. Changing your view to Pennsylvania typically returns different results (depending on your keywords). All layers that overlap your current view (and match your keywords) are returned.
- Click the Sort button to sort the layer results and change the sort direction as needed.
- To see important details about a layer, click its title. In the layer details pane, click the View full details button to open the item page to see more information about the layer.
- Click the Add button to add a layer to your scene.
- Repeat the previous step for each layer you want to add.
You can add any of the layer results to your favorites by clicking Add to Favorites in the layer details pane. You can view your complete list of favorites by choosing My Favorites when searching for layers in Scene Viewer or from the My Favorites tab on the content page.
- Click the Remove button to remove a layer from your scene.
- Add additional layers to your scene or click Done.
Add layers with a URL
You can also add a layer to your scene by entering the URL of the layer.
- Click Add Layers.
- Click the Enter Layer URL or the Open button to open the Enter Layer URL pane.
- Enter the URL of the layer you want to add and give it a name.
- Click Add to add the layer to your scene.