Use the legend
In this topic
- Display the legend
- Customize the floating legend window
- Change the basic style of a layer
- Turn style groups on and off
- Change the order of legend groups
A legend explains the meaning of the symbols that represent features on a map. If enabled, the legend is available in a resizable window that can be placed anywhere on the map. It is also available in the Contents pane when you expand a layer.
You can use the legend to quickly view and change the basic style properties of a layer. Styles can be changed for layers created from IBM Cognos data or for feature service layers from ArcGIS. If multiple styles have been configured for a layer, you can use the legend to apply a different style. If grouped styles have been configured, you can turn individual groups on and off, and change the order of groups in the legend.
Display the legend
- Do one of the following to display the legend for a layer:
- Open the Contents pane and click the arrow beside the layer to expand it.
- If it is enabled by the report author, click the Legend button to open the legend in a floating window. Choose a layer from the drop-down menu.
Customize the floating legend window
When the floating legend is displayed, you can easily move and resize the window as needed.
- Click the Legend button to open the floating legend window, and choose a layer from the drop-down menu.
- To move the legend window, click the title bar of the window and drag it to a different location on the map.
- To resize the legend window, drag the lower right corner of the window until it reaches the desired size.
- To close the legend window, click the Close button.
Change the basic style of a layer
- If multiple styles were configured for the layer, choose the style you want from the Styles drop-down menu.
- If you want to modify a symbol or shape used in the style, click the symbol or shape and do one of the following:
- Point layers can be styled using icon or shape symbols. If icons were used for styling, choose a different icon from the drop-down menu. If shapes were used, choose a new color.
- For lines and polygons, choose a new color for the shape.
- If you want to change the grouping method for a grouped style based on number ranges, choose a classification method from the drop-down menu.
For more information, see Grouping methods.
Turn style groups on and off
- Click in the center of the row for the group you want to hide.
Text identifying the group turns light gray, and the specified group is hidden on the map.
- Click the group again to restore its visibility.
- To turn off the visibility of all groups at once, click Hide all. To restore the visibility of all groups, click Show all.
Change the order of legend groups
If your data is styled by column, you can reverse the order of groups in the legend.
For data that is grouped by category, you can reorder individual category groups by dragging them to a different position in the legend. You can also reverse the order of categories in the legend.
- To change the order of a category group in the legend, do the following:
- Hover to the left of the symbol for the group you want to move until the pointer changes to a double arrow. Drag the group to the desired position in the legend.
- To restore the categories to their original positions in the legend, click Reset.
- To reverse the order of groups in the legend, click Reverse order.
To reverse the order of categories after changing the order of individual categories as described in the previous step, you must first click Reset to restore the legend groups to their original order.