Configure an interactive behavior to set a prompt
You can set up an interactive behavior to set a prompt when report consumers select or click points or regions on the map or click the Set prompt button on a feature's pop-up window. This behavior can be configured on layers created from IBM Cognos data, feature service layers, and clustered point layers. For dynamic map service layers, this behavior can only be configured for selections and click actions on the map.
To configure a map with this behavior in Esri Maps for IBM Cognos, your report must first be configured correctly in Report Studio. To learn more about report configuration in Report Studio, see the IBM Cognos Report Studio User Guide.
To learn more about the interactive behaviors you can configure in Esri Maps for IBM Cognos, see About interactive behaviors.
- In Report Studio, create a new report.
- In your report, drag Esri Map from the Toolbox tab of the Insertable Objects pane to a prompt page or a report page.
- Create and populate a new query that will be reserved for the map prompt and not used by any other report items.
- Use a parameter to create a detail filter on any report items that you want filtered by the map prompt. For example, create an Expression Definition like the following:
[Sales (query)].[Retailer site].[Retailer Province-State]in?state?
Be sure that the detail filter is not applied to the query that will be used to configure the map prompt.
- If more than one Esri map is being used in the report, take note of the name of each map in order to be able to identify the proper map for configuration in Esri Maps Designer.
- Save your report in Report Studio.
- Open Esri Maps Designer and browse to the report you just created. Next to the corresponding map, click Configure to open the map.
- In the map configuration window that appears, add data to your map. See Add IBM Cognos data to your map.
- When you're finished adding data, click the Show map contents button to display the Contents pane.
- In the Contents pane, click the arrow to the right of the layer that will be used to populate the map prompt parameter. The selected layer must have a field containing data that will match the data in the data item being filtered; for example, if Retailer Province-State was used in the detail filter's Expression Definition, the map layer must have a field listing province or state names.
- Click IBM Cognos interactivity.
- Choose Set prompt and click Add new.
If you've already configured an interactive behavior for the layer, you'll need to click the Add button before adding and configuring the new behavior.
To delete an interactive behavior, click the Delete button.
- Optionally type a new label for the behavior in the Label box.
- From the Trigger drop-down menu, choose the action type (On selection, On pop-up, or On click) you want to use for the behavior.
For dynamic map service layers, only the On selection and On click options are supported.
- From the Layer attribute drop-down menu, choose a field from the map layer that will be used to filter the data.
- From the Parameter drop-down menu, choose the report parameter you want to filter.
- If you want the report to refresh without requiring the report consumer to click a prompt button check the Auto-submit check box.
- If you're configuring an on-selection interactive behavior and want the behavior to be triggered automatically when the report consumer makes a selection on the map, check the On by default check box.
- Click OK.
If you want to change the behavior configuration later, click IBM Cognos interactivity in the layer settings pane and click the Configure button beside Set prompt.