Configure an interactive behavior to drill through to other reports
You can set up an interactive behavior to drill through to other reports when report consumers click points or regions on the map or click the Drill through button on a feature's pop-up window. A drill-through behavior runs and displays other reports containing related data associated with the specified point or region. This behavior can be configured on layers created from IBM Cognos data, feature service layers, and clustered point layers. For dynamic map service layers, this behavior can only be configured for click actions on the map.
To configure this behavior in Esri Maps for IBM Cognos, you must first configure a source report and a target report in Report Studio. To learn more about configuring source and target reports in Report Studio and about specific drill-through settings, see the IBM Cognos Report Studio User Guide.
To learn more about the interactive behaviors you can configure in Esri Maps for IBM Cognos, see About interactive behaviors.
- In Report Studio, set up a target report following the same procedure you would use for any other type of drill-through definition.
- Save your report.
- In Report Studio, create a source report. Drag Esri Map from the Toolbox tab of the Insertable Objects pane to a report page.
An empty Esri Map container is created.
- Create and populate a new query that will be reserved for the map and not used by any other report items.
- Create and populate a query that will be used for the drill-through behavior. The map query may be used for this purpose. The drill-through query must contain data that will be used to fill in the parameters in the target report. For example, if the drill-through will be based on a parameter for states in the United States, the query must contain a data item for states.
- Save your report in Report Studio.
- Open Esri Maps Designer and browse to the source report. Next to the corresponding map, click Configure to open the map.
- In the map configuration window that appears, add data to your map. See Add IBM Cognos data to your map.
- When you are finished adding data, click the Show map contents button to display the Contents pane.
- In the Contents pane, click the arrow to the right of the layer that will be used to trigger the drill-through behavior. This layer will be associated with the drill-through query in the source report (possibly the same query that was used to configure the map layers), so the chosen layer must contain a field with data that will match data in the drill-through query. For example, if the drill-through behavior will be based on US states, the map layer must contain a field listing states.
- Choose IBM Cognos interactivity.
- Choose Drill through and click Add new.
If you have already configured an interactive behavior for the layer, you will need to click the Add button before adding and configuring the new behavior.
To delete an interactive behavior, click the Delete button.
- In the Label box, optionally type a new label for the behavior.
- From the Trigger drop-down menu, choose the action type (On click or On pop-up) you want to use for the behavior.
For dynamic map service layers, only the On click option is supported.
- From the Layer attribute drop-down menu, choose the field that will be associated with the drill-through query in the source report.
- From the Query drop-down menu, choose the drill-through query.
- From the Data item drop-down menu, choose the data item that will be used to populate the parameter in the target report. The data in this data item must match the data in the Layer attribute field.
- Type a path to the target report in the Report box or click the Browse button to browse to and click the target report.
- From the Action drop-down menu, choose the way in which you want report consumers to view the target report:
- To view the latest data in the map, click Run the report.
- To have Esri Maps Designer match values from the selection context with data in the target (dynamic filtering), click Run the report with dynamic filtering.
Note:If you choose this option, any parameters in the target report are still used for the drill-through access.
- To view the most recently saved output version of the target report from Esri Maps Designer, click View most recent report.
- To use the default action specified for the report in IBM Cognos Connection, click (Default).
- If you chose to run the target report in the previous step, choose an output format for your report from the Format drop-down menu.
Choose (Default) to run the report using the default format specified for the report in IBM Cognos Connection.
- To open the target report in a new window, check the Open in new window check box.
- Press the Configure button beside a parameter to configure it.
If you have more than one parameter in the target report, you will need to configure each parameter one at a time.
- From the Method drop-down menu, choose the method you want to use to pass the parameter.
- If you do not want to pass any value, choose (Default).
- If you do not want the target report to be filtered by this parameter, choose Do not use parameter.
- If you want to pass values from a data item to filter the target report, choose Pass data item value.
- If you want to pass values from a source report parameter to filter the target report, choose Pass parameter value.
- If you chose Pass data item value or Pass parameter value to pass the parameter in the previous step, click the Value drop-down arrow and choose the appropriate data item or parameter value.
- From the Property to pass drop-down menu, choose the source metadata item to pass. Choose (Default) to pass the business key or choose another property such as the member caption, member unique name, and so on.
- Press OK when you are finished configuring the parameter.
- From the Display prompt page drop-down menu, choose one of the following options to specify how to display prompt pages:
- Always—If you choose this option, prompt pages will always be displayed when the drill-through behavior occurs regardless of whether values were specified for the required parameter values.
- Based on the default prompt settings of the target report—If you choose this option, the prompt settings of the target report will be used to determine whether to show the prompt pages.
- Only when the required parameter values are missing—If you choose this option, prompt pages will not be displayed when the required parameter values are provided by the drill-through definition. This is the default setting.
- Press OK.
If you want to change the behavior configuration later, click IBM Cognos interactivity in the layer settings pane and click the Configure button beside Drill through.