Esri Updated Demographics represent the suite of annually updated U.S. demographic data that provides current-year and five-year forecasts for more than two thousand demographic and socioeconomic characteristics. Included are a host of tables covering key characteristics of the population, households, housing, age, race, income, and much more. Esri's Updated Demographics data consists of point estimates, representing July 1 of the current and forecast years. View Understanding Esri's Updated Demographics portfolio to familiarize yourself with what's included and how it's updated.
Esri 2021 Updated Demographics use the boundaries from the 2010 U.S. Census Bureau data; Esri 2022 Updated Demographics use the boundaries from the 2020 U.S. Census Bureau data.
Esri Updated Demographics categories include the following:
- Age—By Generations, Age Dependency Ratios
- Race and Ethnicity—Diversity Index
- School-Educational attainment
- Work—Labor Force, Economic Dependency Ratios
- Income—Total Income, Income by Age
- Households—Total Households, Tenure, Families
- Housing and Wealth—Total Housing Units, Housing Affordability Index, Percent of Income for Mortgage, Wealth Index
- Historical Time Series—Population, Households, and Housing Units for each year between 2010 and current year
Esri's demographic databases are available for all standard Census geographic levels (for example, states, counties, census tracts, and block groups) as well as Core Based Statistical Areas (CBSAs), Designated Market Areas (DMAs), Congressional Districts (CDs), Places, County Subdivisions (CSDs), and residential ZIP Codes. But more importantly, Esri technology gives data users the ability to summarize data for any user-defined polygon, such as rings, drive times, or any hand-drawn trade area.
Esri's Updated Demographics provide decision makers the most current information available to understand and track changes in the population, consumer behavior, and broader market area trends.
Users who depend on data should evaluate whether their analysis can benefit from using the most current information available to make important, if not critical, data-driven decisions for the following:
- Analyzing migration patterns (retirement, employment hot spots, or suburban sprawl)
- Reacting to natural disasters that force evacuation and relocation of the population
- Monitoring household income and home value trends
- Identifying areas with populations at or near retirement
- Establishing new retail business locations
- Understanding local labor markets
Esri Updated Demographics data is available for:
- 2022/2027 (in 2020 Census geography).
- 2021/2026 (in 2010 Census geography).
- Migrating from Esri Updated Demographics 2021/2026 to 2022/2027: Expected Change explains reasons why data users may experience large changes when transitioning from 2021/2026 Esri Updated Demographics to 2022/2027.
The following documents describe the detailed methodology used for Esri Updated Demographics data:
- 2022 Esri Daytime Population Methodology Statement
- 2022/2027 Esri Dependency Ratios Methodology Statement
- 2022/2027 Esri Diversity Index Methodology Statement
- 2022/2027 Esri Updated Demographics Methodology Statement
- Vintage 2022 Esri Time Series Totals Methodology Statement
- 2021 Esri Daytime Population Methodology Statement
- 2021/2026 Esri Dependency Ratios Methodology Statement
- 2021/2026 Esri Diversity Index Methodology Statement
- 2021/2026 Esri Updated Demographics Methodology Statement
- Vintage 2021 Esri Time Series Totals Methodology Statement
The following sample demographic reports are available:
- Age by Sex Profile (PDF)
- Age by Sex by Race Profile (PDF)
- Age 50+ Profile (PDF)
- Civilian Labor Force Profile (PDF)
- Community Profile (PDF)
- Demographic and Income Profile (PDF)
- Demographic and Income Comparison Profile (PDF)
- Detailed Age Profile (PDF)
- Disposable Income Profile (PDF)
- Executive Summary (PDF)
- Graphic Profile (PDF)
- Household Income Profile (PDF)
- Housing Profile (PDF)
- Market Profile (PDF)
- Net Worth Profile (PDF)
- Time Series Profile (PDF)
For more information about reports and the products that contain them, visit ArcGIS Apps.
For information about the number of credits needed to run reports, see Credits by capability.
Esri's Updated Demographics data is available in various products including the following:
- ArcGIS Living Atlas of the World—Access ready-to-use maps.
- ArcGIS Business Analyst—View a sample infographic.
- ArcGIS Community Analyst
- ArcGIS for Excel
- ArcGIS for Power BI
- ArcGIS GeoEnrichment Service
- ArcGIS Online—Browse maps and layers.
- Buy Esri Reports online.
For information about purchasing Esri's Updated Demographics data as a stand-alone dataset, contact email@example.com.
Learn how to understand, interpret, and use Updated Demographics variables and databases such as dependency ratios, income, Market Potential, and more with the Get started with U.S. Demographics tutorial series.