Install the ArcGIS Maps for Office add-in for Microsoft Office by running the setup program as described below. If you have an existing version of ArcGIS Maps for Office installed, you can upgrade to the latest version by running the setup for the latest version. When running the setup, the installation wizard indicates whether it's performing an upgrade or an initial installation.
Before you begin, be sure that the required software is properly installed and configured.
Download ArcGIS Maps for Office
To download ArcGIS Maps for Office, do the following:
- In a browser, browse to the ArcGIS Maps for Office download page.
- If you don't already have an ArcGIS Online account, get a free trial account.
- Choose the Microsoft Office bit version that you have installed on your system.
ArcGIS Maps for Office supports both 32-bit and 64-bit architectures. Install the version of ArcGIS Maps for Office that matches the version of Microsoft Office you have installed, not the version of your operating system (OS). For example, if your Microsoft Office installation is 32 bit, install the ArcGISMapsForOffice_x86.exe file; if your Microsoft Office installation is 64 bit, install the ArcGISMapsForOffice_x64.exe file. If you're not sure, open Excel 2010 (or other Office 2010 application), click the File tab, and choose Help. In the About Microsoft Excel section on the right, the Version information states whether the Microsoft Office installation is 32 bit or 64 bit. For Excel 2013 (or other Office 2013 applications), click the File tab, choose Account, and click the About Excel button. The top line of the resulting window indicates whether the Office installation is 32 bit or 64 bit.
- Choose the language for the ArcGIS Maps for Office add-in.
- Specify whether you plan to use ArcGIS Maps for Office with ArcGIS Online or with ArcGIS Enterprise.
ArcGIS Enterprise users must install both the add-in and additional resource files.
- If you're using ArcGIS Online, click No to download the simple installer.
- If you're using ArcGIS Enterprise, click Yes to download both the installer and resource files and choose your operating system (Windows or Linux) from the drop-down menu. For more information, see Work in a disconnected environment.
- Complete the form, providing your name, email address, company, and industry.
- Check the box to agree to Esri's privacy statement.
- Optionally choose to stay updated with additional Esri news.
- Click Submit.
The download page appears with a link to download the add-in.
- Click the link and save the file to a location on your system.
If you chose ArcGIS Enterprise, you'll also see a link to download the resource files. Be sure to download both packages. For more information, see Work in a disconnected environment.
Install ArcGIS Maps for Office
To install ArcGIS Maps for Office on one computer, do the following:
- Browse to the location where you saved the ArcGIS Maps for Office executable file and double-click the file to begin the installation.
The Welcome page of the ArcGIS Maps for Office Setup wizard appears. Click Next to continue.
- Read the end-user license agreement (EULA). If you agree to the EULA, choose the I accept the license agreement option and click Next.
- If your system is missing any of the required software, the System Check page appears. Click Install Prerequisites to install the missing software.
The following software is required and will be installed automatically if the listed version (or later) is not found on your system:
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2
- Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office runtime
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 runtime assemblies
- Click Next to continue.
- On the Product Features page of the installation wizard, specify the ArcGIS Maps for Office features to install.
By default, ArcGIS Maps for Office will be installed for both Microsoft Excel and Microsoft PowerPoint.
- To change the default installation directory, click Browse and specify the new location. Click Next to continue.
- Choose how ArcGIS Maps for Office will connect to ArcGIS.
Choose one of the following options:
- ArcGIS Online—This is the default connection to ArcGIS. Choosing this option allows a user with an ArcGIS organizational account to sign in using their ArcGIS user name and password.
- My ArcGIS Online Organization—An organization can be configured to allow access to ArcGIS Maps for Office using enterprise logins through Active Directory Federation Services, Shibboleth, or SimpleSAMLphp. If your organization has been configured this way and you want to use enterprise logins, choose this option and enter the full ArcGIS Online organization URL.
- My ArcGIS Enterprise—If your organization uses ArcGIS Enterprise, choose this option and provide the URL to your ArcGIS Enterprise portal instance. For example, https://<portalname>\<instance>. For more details, see Work in a disconnected environment. Contact your organization administrator if you're unsure of what these values should be.
ArcGIS Maps for Office only supports ArcGIS Enterprise configured using HTTPS.
- Click Next to continue.
- To participate in the Esri User Experience Improvement program, check the Allow Esri to collect information to improve software check box.
- Click Next to continue.
A confirmation window appears. Check the Check for software upgrade check box to automatically verify if a new version of ArcGIS Maps for Office is available.
- Click Install to begin the installation.
- Click Finish to complete the ArcGIS Maps for Office installation.