Esri Business Summary data summarizes the Business Locations from Data Axle for specified North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) and Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) summary categories by geography. These include the total number of businesses, total sales, and total number of employees for a trade area.
A key differentiator of Data Axle business data is the addition of two proprietary digits onto the standard government-provided industrial classification codes. These extra two digits, which produce an eight-digit NAICS code and a six-digit SIC code, provide additional detail about the business type.
The Business Summary database provides statistics for the following:
- Total sales
- Total number of employees
- Number of businesses by industry
Esri Business Summary data is available for the following:
- February 2023 (in 2020 Census geography).
- January 2022 (in 2020 Census geography).
- January 2021 (in 2010 Census geography).
Esri Business Summary data is updated annually.
- The following sample Business Summary report is available: Business Summary (PDF).
Note:It is important to take note of the number of credits required to run reports and infographics. For more information, see Credits by capability in the ArcGIS Online help (scroll to Business Search, Infographics, and Reports).
Data Axle methodologies have changed for 2023. Refer to the methodologies and data catalogs for the correct data vintage.
- Esri 2023 U.S. Demographics Release Notes (PDF).
- Esri 2023–2028 U.S. Data Catalog (XLS).
- 2023 U.S. Business Locations and Business Summary data Esri Methodology Statement (ArcGIS StoryMap); a PDF is available.
- Esri 2022-2027 U.S. Data Catalog (XLS).
- 2022 U.S. Business Locations & Summary data Esri Methodology Statement (ArcGIS StoryMap).
- Esri 2021-2026 U.S. Data Catalog (XLS).
- 2021 U.S. Business Locations & Summary data Esri Methodology Statement (ArcGIS StoryMap).
Business data is available in various products including the following:
- ArcGIS Business Analyst Web App—Conduct a Business and Facilities Search or run a report.
- ArcGIS Business Analyst Pro.
- ArcGIS Community Analyst—Conduct a Business and Facilities Search or run a report.
- Buy Esri Reports online.
For information about purchasing Esri Demographics data as stand-alone datasets, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.