When working with massive raster datasets or performing complex processing workflows, traditional processing techniques are often too time-consuming or computationally intensive to be practical.
Raster analytics, a capability of ArcGIS Image Server as a part of ArcGIS Enterprise, solves that problem. Raster analytics is a flexible raster processing, storage, and sharing system that employs distributed computing and storage technology to efficiently process massive amounts of data. The power of raster analytics can also be extended by leveraging cloud computing capabilities and storage.
Using raster analytics, image processing and analysis jobs that used to take days or weeks can be accomplished in minutes or hours, and jobs that were too resource-intensive are feasible. ArcGIS offers a large set of raster functions that can be applied directly, customized, or chained together to process imagery and raster data. When you invoke raster analytics to perform this processing, distributed processing and storage are leveraged to speed up large or complex tasks. For example, raster analytics could be used to speed up deep learning workflows for object detection or classification, or to quickly produce large, detailed landcover maps.
Explore the following resources to learn more about using raster analytics for distributed image processing. (Not sure where to start? Look for the star by Esri's most helpful resources.)
Note:To use distributed processing with raster analytics, you'll need ArcGIS Enterprise with ArcGIS Image Server configured for raster analysis. You may also want to use ArcGIS Pro as a client to invoke raster analytics.
Reference material for ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Online, and ArcGIS Enterprise:
- Read an overview of raster analytics in ArcGIS Enterprise.
- Learn more about ArcGIS Image Server and what it does.
- Learn how to configure and deploy ArcGIS Enterprise specifically for raster analytics.
- Learn how to invoke raster analytics using Map Viewer the ArcGIS API for Python, or the ArcGIS REST API.
- Learn how to invoke raster analytics using ArcGIS Pro.
ArcGIS blogs, articles, story maps, and white papers
Supplemental guidance about concepts, software functionality, and workflows:
- Read this blog for a brief overview of raster analytics.
- Read this ArcUser article for an in-depth discussion of raster analytics.
- Read this blog explaining how to use different clients to invoke raster analytics (the focus of the blog is deep learning, but the discussion also applies to raster analytics in general).
Esri-produced videos that clarify and demonstrate concepts, software functionality, and workflows:
- Watch a demo showing how raster analytics can be used for land cover mapping. (6 mins)*
- Watch a demo showing how raster analytics can power object detection using deep learning. (12 mins)
- Watch a demo showing raster analytics being used to assess flood damage. (6 mins)
- Watch a technical workshop from the 2018 Esri User Conference on building raster analytics workflows. (57 mins)*
Guided, hands-on lessons based on real-world problems:
- Try using raster analytics to calculate landslide risk for communities affected by wildfires.*
Resources and support for automating and customizing workflows:
- Learn about the functions for calling tools to provide distributed raster analysis using the arcgis.raster.analytics module in the ArcGIS API for Python.
Online places for the Esri community to connect, collaborate, and share experiences:
- Ask the imagery community questions about raster analytics.
* Esri's top picks