It’s important to be able to perform secure, scalable raster analysis, then share the results with end users. However, such analysis requires cloud or on-premise infrastructure for hosting and processing imagery and raster collections, which can be expensive and time-consuming to maintain.
ArcGIS Image for ArcGIS Online is a Software as a Service (SaaS) solution that lets users in an organization host, analyze, and stream imagery and raster collections using the ArcGIS Online cloud instead of their own infrastructure.
Once imagery is hosted using ArcGIS Image for ArcGIS Online, authorized users can perform image analysis and raster analytics at site, city, country, and global scales using ArcGIS Online Map Viewer’s intuitive web interface. Options for analysis include image classification, change detection, suitability analysis, multidimensional analysis, and advanced artificial intelligence workflows.
Authorized users can then share results with internal and external stakeholders as tiled or dynamic services, or interactive apps, dashboards and reports.
Explore the following resources to learn more about analyzing imagery with ArcGIS Image for ArcGIS Online.
To analyze imagery in ArcGIS Online, you’ll need an ArcGIS Image for ArcGIS Online user type extension for your ArcGIS Online organization. The organization administrator can then enable imagery layer creation and imagery analysis privileges for individual users.
Reference material for ArcGIS products:
- Learn about tools for performing raster analysis online.
- Learn how to use raster analysis tools in the ArcGIS Online Map Viewer.
- Learn about functions for raster analysis available online.
- Learn more about the online Raster Function Editor, a visual programming interface for building imagery and raster analysis processing chains.
- Learn more about styling imagery layers in Map Viewer Beta and Map Viewer.
ArcGIS blogs, articles, story maps, and white papers
Supplemental guidance about concepts, software functionality, and workflows:
- Read a blog providing an overview of ArcGIS Image for ArcGIS Online.
- Learn more about the differences between tiled imagery layers, dynamic imagery layers, and map tile cache.
- Check out the ArcGIS Image for ArcGIS Online Implementation Guide for essential tasks and best practices for setting up ArcGIS Image for ArcGIS Online.
- Check out Get to Know ArcGIS Image for ArcGIS Online to familiarize yourself with the capabilities of ArcGIS Image for ArcGIS Online.
Esri-produced videos that clarify and demonstrate concepts, software functionality, and workflows:
- Watch this video to learn more about the raster analysis tools, the raster function editor, and basic scripting online. (6 mins)
- Watch this video to learn more about image enhancement and analysis capabilities available with tiled imagery layers. (3 mins)
Resources and support for automating and customizing workflows:
- Create imagery layers with the ArcGIS API for Python using copy raster and create image collection (which you could then use for raster analysis).
- Review these Python notebooks for examples of online raster analysis:
Online imagery community to connect, collaborate, and share experiences:
- Ask the imagery community questions.