It’s important to be able to perform secure, scalable raster analysis, then share the results with end users. However, such analysis requires cloud or on-premises infrastructure for hosting and processing imagery and raster collections, which can be expensive and time consuming to maintain.
ArcGIS Image for ArcGIS Online is a software as a service (SaaS) solution that allows you to host, analyze, and stream imagery and raster collections using the ArcGIS Online cloud instead of your organization's infrastructure.
Once imagery is hosted using ArcGIS Image for ArcGIS Online, you can perform image analysis and raster analytics at site, city, country, and global scales. Analysis options include image classification, change detection, suitability analysis, multidimensional analysis, and advanced deep learning workflows.
As an authorized user, you can then share results with internal and external stakeholders as tiled or dynamic services, or interactive apps, dashboards, and reports.
Explore the following resources to learn more about analyzing imagery with ArcGIS Image for ArcGIS Online. (Not sure where to start? Look for the star by Esri's most helpful resources.)
To analyze imagery in ArcGIS Online, you need an ArcGIS Image for ArcGIS Online user type extension for your ArcGIS Online organization. The organization administrator can then enable imagery layer creation and imagery analysis privileges for you.
Review the following links on reference materials for ArcGIS products:
- Learn how to perform raster analysis in ArcGIS Image for ArcGIS Online.*
- Learn about tools for performing raster analysis online.
- Learn about functions for raster analysis available online.
- Learn about the online Raster Function Editor, a visual programming interface for building imagery and raster analysis processing chains.
- Learn about styling imagery layers in Map Viewer and Map Viewer Classic.
ArcGIS blogs, articles, story maps, and technical papers
Review the following supplemental guidance about concepts, software functionality, and workflows:
- See the ArcGIS Image for ArcGIS Online Implementation Guide for tasks and best practices for setting up ArcGIS Image for ArcGIS Online.*
- See Get to Know ArcGIS Image for ArcGIS Online to familiarize yourself with the capabilities of ArcGIS Image for ArcGIS Online.*
- Read a blog article providing an overview of ArcGIS Image for ArcGIS Online.
- Learn about the differences between tiled imagery layers, dynamic imagery layers, and map tile cache.
- Read a blog that describes and compares image analysis capabilities in ArcGIS Online, ArcGIS Pro, and ArcGIS Enterprise.
Review the following Esri-produced videos that clarify and demonstrate concepts, software functionality, and workflows:
- Watch this video to learn about raster analysis tools, the Raster Function Editor, and basic scripting online (6 minutes).
- Watch this video to learn about image enhancement and analysis capabilities using tiled imagery layers (3 minutes).
Training and tutorials
Review the following guided lessons and tutorials based on real-world problems and key ArcGIS skills:
- Take this web course to learn how to use deep learning in your analysis workflow with ArcGIS Image for ArcGIS Online. (1 hour, 45 minutes)
- Learn how to perform change detection to assess hail damage in cornfields with satellite imagery. (45 minutes)
- With hosted multidimensional data, predict coral bleaching by calculating sea surface temperature trends using raster analysis tools. (1 hour)
Review the following resources and support for automating and customizing workflows:
- Create imagery layers with ArcGIS API for Python using copy_raster and create_image_collection (which you can then use for raster analysis).
- Review the following Python samples of online raster analysis:
Use the online imagery community to connect, collaborate, and share experiences:
- Visit the Esri ArcGIS Image for ArcGIS Online community to connect, collaborate, and share experiences.