ArcGIS Urban has two user interfaces (UIs): the Overview and the Plan Designer. The Overview is a complete view of all plans, projects, indicators, and ideas in a city. The Overview UI contains the following two key elements:
- The view—A 3D model of a city with plans, projects, and ideas represented by multicolored pins
- The search panel—An interactive side panel with search and filter functionality, showing a full list of plans, projects, indicators, and ideas, and providing detail about a selected item when clicked
The Overview is the starting point in ArcGIS Urban; it’s the first thing you see when you start the application. Depending on your permissions, the Overview can either be read-only or it can be the starting point for creating and editing plans, projects, and indicators. As an administrator, you can configure Urban through the Manager in the Overview. Additionally, the Overview is where you access the Plan designer.
The following screen shots show the Overview UI (with and without editing permissions):
To use the Plan Designer, click a plan, expand the options button , and select Edit in Plan Designer. Only users with the appropriate permissions can use the Plan Designer. A user who has not signed in and is looking at the public content of ArcGIS Urban cannot use the Plan Designer.
The Plan Designer is an editing space divided into the following modes, which are displayed at the left of the header:
- Zoning—Edit and configure zoning boundaries.
- Zoning overlays—Create and configure zoning overlays.
- Parcels—Edit parcel geometries and generate plausible future buildings.
The editing tools change as you change mode. For example, zoning mode has a Zoning types side panel that is not in parcels mode. Parcels mode has an Inspector side panel that is not in zoning overlays mode.
The screen shot above shows the Plan Designer UI items, which are described as follows:
- Menu button—Opens the layer side panel.
- Zoning mode—Zoning editing capabilities such as assigning, adding and editing zoning types
- Overlays mode—The drop-down arrow reveals all the overlays available in the current plan.
- Parcels mode—The active mode in this image.
- Workflow toolbar—The tools change based on the active mode.
- Scenarios—Switch between and configure design scenarios using the drop-down arrow.
- Building Types list—Assign, add, and configure building types.
- Parcel Inspector—Assign overrides.
- Dashboard—View capacity indicators, space use, and zoning type data per plan.
- Sign-in button—Sign in or out and switch accounts.
- Basemaps—Switch between views.
- Design layers—Switch layers on or off.
- View toolbar—Different tools used to adjust, navigate and analyze your view. The advanced selection tool is available in the Plan Designer only.
The View toolbar (13 above) is at the lower right in both the Plan Designer and the Overview. You can adjust the brightness and shadows using the daylight tool or measure and analyze the distance between two points using the measurement tool . In the Plan Designer, you can select multiple parcels using the advanced selections tool .