Before you can take advantage of the capabilities of ArcGIS Excalibur, the software and system requirements described below must be met, including a base ArcGIS Enterprise deployment.
Prior to installing ArcGIS Excalibur, you need to install ArcGIS Enterprise, which includes the following components:
- Portal for ArcGIS
- ArcGIS Server
- ArcGIS Data Store
- ArcGIS Web Adaptor
You can use the ArcGIS Enterprise Builder wizard to install ArcGIS Enterprise, or you can follow the tutorial to set up a base deployment manually. See What is required before installing ArcGIS Excalibur for which ArcGIS Enterprise version best meets your organizational needs.
The software referenced above must be authorized after installation. See ArcGIS Enterprise licensing for more information.
There are two optional licenses that can also be authorized to the ArcGIS Enterprise environment which bring additional value to ArcGIS Excalibur.
- ArcGIS Image Server—a license file will need to be authorized with ArcGIS Server to publish hosted imagery layers in ArcGIS Excalibur. Once ArcGIS Image Server is authorized, you can use its tools and resources to host, process, and analyze collections of imagery. Two key benefits of ArcGIS Image Server are the following:
- ArcGIS Video Server—A license file will need to be authorized with the environment where the ArcGIS Video Server is installed. Once ArcGIS Video Server is installed and authorized, you can use its resources and tools to host, process, and analyze video web services.
The sections below describe system requirements specific to ArcGIS Excalibur.
ArcGIS Excalibur works in desktop web browsers. It is not supported on mobile devices or tablets. For best performance, use the latest version of any of the following browsers:
- Google Chrome
- Microsoft Edge
- Mozilla Firefox
It is also recommended that your system display settings and browser extent are set to 100% for the best viewing experience.
Licensing user types and roles
You must also have the proper role of a Publisher or Administrator to ensure all capabilities of ArcGIS Excalibur will properly work. If you are assigned the default role of a User, you can still access the application, but with limited support. A User role can still create Excalibur projects, but they cannot publish hosted content. The default role of a Data Editor or Viewer are not supported.
Custom roles are also supported but must include the following minimum privileges.
Create, update, and delete
Create, update, and delete
View content shared with the organization
*Publish hosted feature layers
**Publish live stream video
Share with groups
Share with portal
*This privilege is only required for a fully supported role that includes the ability to create a new Excalibur Project and project layers.
**This privilege is only required for a fully supported role that includes the ability to create a new live stream video layer. One must be an administrator to perform this function within the ArcGIS Excalibur application.
***This privilege is only required for a fully supported role that includes the ability to upload video files to create a new video layer.
ArcGIS Excalibur supports the same languages as the ArcGIS Enterprise portal. The language used by ArcGIS Excalibur is determined by the language settings in each user's account profile.
Deploy ArcGIS Enterprise to support ArcGIS Excalibur
ArcGIS Excalibur relies on key components of ArcGIS Enterprise including a base deployment and optionally the ArcGIS Image Server or ArcGIS Video Server roles. The overview steps below describe how to deploy ArcGIS Enterprise prior to installing and authorizing ArcGIS Excalibur.
For additional information on using ArcGIS Image Server and raster analytics in a base ArcGIS Enterprise deployment, see Configure and deploy ArcGIS Enterprise for raster analytics. For additional information on using ArcGIS Video Server, see installing ArcGIS Video Server.
- Install and authorize Portal for ArcGIS.
- Install and configure ArcGIS Web Adaptor for Portal for ArcGIS.
- Install, authorize, and configure ArcGIS Server.
- Install and configure ArcGIS Web Adaptor for ArcGIS Server.
- Install and configure ArcGIS Data Store as the relational data store.
- Federate and configure ArcGIS Server with Portal for ArcGIS as the hosting server.