ArcGIS StoryMaps is regularly updated with new features, enhancements, bug fixes, and performance improvements. These release notes list the updates for each ArcGIS StoryMaps release with the most recent update shown first.
October 26, 2020
- Symbol colors can be set for individual points, lines, and areas features in express maps.
- Symbol sizes can be set for individual points, and images can be uploaded and used for point symbols in express maps.
- A map tour can be created by uploading a set of photos.
- Authors can choose to show a story's initial publish date or the last updated date on the cover.
- The block palette has a new compact design.
- The text formatting toolbar has been enhanced with a clearer way to convert between text block types.
- The animation between sidecar slides is smoother when layer visibility changes.
- The image loading experience has been improved.
- A proxy is now used for content coming from external servers, which eliminates some Cross-Origin Resource Sharing (CORS) errors. This means image symbols and GIS services hosted outside the arcgis.com domain will now work in more cases.
- When deleting a theme, a list of affected stories is shown.
- Search engines are prompted to index newly published stories.
- Legend correctly shows visible layers when a map action is active.
- Several date formatting bugs were fixed for different locales.
- Stories and collections owned by others can be marked as favorites again.
- Color picker elements are announced by screen readers.
See the What's new in ArcGIS StoryMaps (October 2020) blog post for more information.
September 30, 2020
- The new explorer map tour block allows readers to browse a large set of places in grid or list view.
- Playback options for uploaded videos allow configuration of autoplay and video controls.
- An express map basemap can be set by browsing and selecting a web map.
- A logo can be specified as part of a theme.
- Four additional fonts are added in theme builder (Arial, Georgia, Neue Helvetica, and Verdana).
- Story navigation link limit has increased to 30 (from 10).
- Alternative text box now expands when entering more text.
- Image loading has been further optimized by taking advantage of new resizing options.
- Swipe is no longer in beta.
- Better messaging is shown when a map or scene is not available.
- Switching to a custom theme will reset any color or font pairing overrides.
- Uploaded images are no longer rotated in certain cases.
- Group menu in the sharing panel now dismisses as expected.
- Text formatting is better preserved during copy/paste and converting between block types.
- Adding an SVG as a logo no longer throws an error.
- Odd shadow no longer appears behind the Add to collection button on Safari.
- Extra characters no longer appear in the design panel in Hebrew.
September 9, 2020
- Theme builder has been added in the profile menu.
- Support for SVG images has been added.
- Coauthors can duplicate stories and collections.
- New stories start with minimal cover instead of full cover.
- Immersive builder panel is initially expanded instead of collapsed.
- Button text color changes to ensure sufficient contrast with accent color for accessibility.
- WAV files now load as expected when viewing a story.
- Block palette can be navigated using the keyboard.
- Text wraps work as expected in express map pop-ups.
August 26, 2020
- Collection item details can be edited.
- Cover can be hidden for a story that appears in a collection.
- Photo geotags can be used to locate guided tour places.
- Replace media option is available for images and videos.
- Formatting controls are no longer hidden by the story navigation bar.
- Duplicating a story does not include unpublished changes.
- Text does not appear below credits when entering it next to floated media.
- Long links do not extend out of sidecar panels on small screens.
- Tapping the attribution icon shows attribution on touch devices.
- Security updates are included.
August 12, 2020
- Fit and fill options are enabled for swipe images.
- Circle and rectangle drawing tools have been added to express maps.
- Color contrast on publish state labels has been updated to improve accessibility.
- The express maps drawing toolbar has been consolidated into groups.
- Immersive blocks show the expected slide when a story navigation link is used.
- List items are positioned properly next to floating media.
- Dragging an image onto the story builder does not open the local image in a new tab.
- Audio plays as expected on Safari and can be scrubbed as expected on all supported browsers.
- Keyboard navigation, screen reader support, and color contrast have been improved for the profile menu, toggle buttons, publish state badges, and full-screen media experience.
July 29, 2020
- Add a logo to a collection.
- A mosaic thumbnail is generated when a collection is published.
- Icons have been added to cards in the Add to collection browser to indicate item types.
- Retrieve code to embed a story or collection via the header menu in published stories and collections.
- Hide cover and header using URL parameters.
- Format headings and subheadings with color.
- The collection item limit has been increased from 30 to 60.
- Previewing a collection from the Design panel opens in the same tab as the first item in the collection so that the navigation bar is visible.
- The embed bar is no longer shown at the bottom of classic stories when they appear in a collection.
- Quick actions menu has been added and made consistent for item cards.
- Text options have been consolidated into a single Text item in the content block palette. After adding text, the toolbar appears with heading, subheading, list, and quote options.
- When placing a map, clicking Cancel in the map designer returns to the map browser instead of the story builder.
- Transitions have been improved when jumping to the top of a story during autoplay or when clicking the title in the header.
- Learning and resource links have been updated on the Stories page.
- Icons have been refreshed throughout ArcGIS StoryMaps.
- The issue that caused story duplication to fail in some cases has been corrected.
- Transparent header space on embedded collections has been corrected.
- Hyperlinks with color formatting show as expected in print view.
- The short link generator no longer makes duplicate calls.
July 8, 2020
- An uncommon issue in which express map points moved to 0,0 coordinates has been corrected.
July 2, 2020
- An issue in which the initial extent of guided tours was not being honored has been corrected.
- Incorrect error message no longer appears when duplicating a story.
July 1, 2020
- Tabbed and bulleted navigation options have been added for collections.
- Transparent panel styles have been added for floating sidecar.
- The swipe block (beta) compares two images.
- Use a web map from your content, favorites, or organization as a guided tour basemap.
- Use a map from ArcGIS Living Atlas as a guided tour basemap.
- Specify any color (via hex code) for express map layers.
- Map designer for maps and scenes reflects layer scale dependency.
- WAV files are supported for inline and background audio.
- Many accessibility updates have been made to improve keyboard navigation and screen reader experiences.
June 17, 2020
- A compass widget appears when a web map is rotated.
- A story with many embeds is less likely to crash on iOS.
- Geolocation for embedded ArcGIS apps is permitted.
- Background audio fixes have been made.
June 3, 2020
- Notification appears in the header when ArcGIS StoryMaps has been updated.
- Audio (.mp3 files or hosted audio from the web) is supported in inline blocks and background audio in sidecar slides.
- The swipe block (beta) compares two maps.
- Drag and drop immersive blocks.
- The option to disable map navigation has been added.
- Choose from a larger selection of basemaps for express maps and guided tours.
- The option to group points in express maps has been added.
- Docked sidecar panel width options have been added.
- Copy the link or embed code for existing embeds.
- Images expand to a full-screen view when clicked.
- Moved collections navigation controls to the top of the screen.
- Annotation collision detection has been added in express maps.
- Collections moved to full release.
- Multidevice preview is available for collections.
- Add images and PDF items to a collection.
- Browse ArcGIS Living Atlas stories and apps by category and add them to a collection.
- Format captions with color.
- Add images or videos via a web link to immersive media panels.
- Add search results as guided tour points.
- Autoplay jumps to the top of the story after it reaches the end (instead of scrolling back up); clicking the title of the story in the header also immediately jumps to the top.
- The express map pop-up image updates after uploading.
- The legend can be disabled for web scenes.
- Text color updates have been made for hyperlinks in the credits section.
- Enabling story navigation in certain cases no longer crashes the builder.
- Story navigation shows the correct section when scrolling up through a story.
- Nonbreaking space character code no longer appears in navigation link.
- Web map pop-ups work on mobile devices and are themed correctly.
- Video uploads greater than 20 MB are supported in the story cover and immersive media panels.
April 8, 2020
- Duplicate a story or collection.
- Enable in-story navigation bar.
- The sidecar floating panel layout has been added.
- New themes have been added: Slate and Tidal.
- Styling options have been added for express map annotations.
- Add videos as media for guided tour.
- Browse ArcGIS Living Atlas content by category.
- The collection overview layout has been improved.
- The experience for adding items to a collection in the builder has been updated.
- Add ArcGIS Experience Builder web experiences, ArcGIS Hub sites, and ArcGIS Insights pages to a collection.
- Map actions are reversible on small screens.
- Map actions work as expected in duplicated slides.
- Pasting text into map action buttons and headings works as expected.
- The process for using enterprise logins to access private stories has been improved.
- Rich embeds display live in the sidecar narrative panel where appropriate.
- The situation in which autoplay speed increased after interacting with the story has been corrected.
- Merging and splitting block quotes works as expected.
- Issues in which text or media blocks were not inserted into the correct place have been corrected.
January 22, 2020
- Guided tour block (beta) has been added.
- Map actions in sidecar blocks (beta) have been added.
- Credits block at the end of a story has been added.
- Print a story (beta).
- Format paragraph text with color and format headings with italics.
- Fit and fill settings for video media on the cover or in an immersive media panel.
- Style options for slideshow narrative panels have been enhanced.
- Publish stories privately or to a group.
- Full-page preview mode has been added to the device previews.
- Snap points and leader lines to other feature vertices when editing express maps.
- Hide social sharing icons on published stories.
- Edit card details.
- Option has been added to show alternate image for embeds on small screens.
- Many fixes and stabilization improvements have been made.