The Data Browser allows you to search and browse for data by category that you can use for color-coded maps, smart map search analysis, and custom reports. You can access the Data Browser from categories in Color-Coded Maps and Smart Map Search, and it is also used to add variables when creating custom report templates, infographics templates, and comparison reports.
To learn about the available data, visit Data.
If you have added your own custom data, or others in your organization have shared data with you, they will be shown under separate tabs. See Custom and shared data.
To find variables within the currently selected tab, click any of the thumbnails to browse variables within it— for example, Behaviors.
- You can perform a search within the current category.
- You can quickly click on any of the Popular variables to select it.
- To view variables in a subcategory, click on any of the options under Keep browsing.
- Click the Show all 'Behaviors' variables option to view a list of all variables in this category.
- Click the Create your own 'Behaviors' variable option to launch Create Custom variable. Refine results further by keyword.
- Saved variables— your previously saved variables, including custom variables.
- Favorite— the variables you have marked as favorites.
- By source— refine results further by data source— for example, Esri, US Census, American Community Survey (ACS), etc.
- Show All— a complete list of all available variables. Refine results further by year, gender, race, source, etc.
- The Web Map Data button provides variables loaded from the web map. If you have added a web map with variables that can be color-coded or used in a smart map search analysis then the data will be found here.
The Web Map Data variables are only shown when the web map is currently loaded on the map.
You can search across all three tabs for a variable name, an issue, or an area of interest.
Use the Search for a variable name, an issue or an area of interest dialog box to enter your search criteria and click the Search button . For example, you can search for variables related to rent.
The search results appear and can be refined depending on your selection— for example, by Year or Source.
Source or category for the variables are indicated by the text in parentheses following the variable name— for example, (U. S. Census) or (ACS).
Select variables and Save Lists
When selecting a variable, the toggle allows you to indicate how the data will be displayed in your results— for example, clicking the percentage button will display the numbers as a percentage. This toggle varies depending on the variable.
For Color-Coded Maps, the variable you select will be immediately applied to the map.
For Smart Map Search, once you've found the variable, check the check box to the left of the variable name to add it to the Selected Variables .
You can add more variables up to a limit of five. When done, click Apply. You can click Selected Variables to access variables to add, delete, or map variables and save a variables list. To save your variables list, click Save. The Save Criteria dialog box is launched. Name the list and click Save. Once saved, the list appears in the Saved List.
When creating custom report templates, infographic templates, and comparison reports, you will use the Data Browser inside the Add Variables dialog, to select variables. Of these three workflows, you have the option to create and save variables lists only when creating a custom comparison report.
Custom and shared data
If you have added your own Custom data, or others in your organization have shared data with you, they will be shown under separate tabs.
On the Standard data tab, you can access the data that comes with the Business Analyst web app. Custom data added by you will be available under the My data tab. Under Data shared with me, you can access the data others in your organization have shared with you. You can browse within the currently selected tab – the experience will be the same as described above under Browse variables.
Performing a search will return results across all available tabs.
The My Data tab is only shown when custom data has been added by you.
The Data shared with me tab is only shown when others in your organization have shared data with you.