New Comparison Reports allow you to create reports that compare your sites based on a set of popular categories. These popular categories include population, households, income, and housing as well as customizable reports. Options also include comparing your sites to a benchmark and neighboring geographies.
- Click Reports and click New Comparison Reports.
The New Comparison Reports window opens, displaying the Esri Population Comparison report for 2 preselected sites. These are the two sites most recently opened on the map. If there were no sites on the map, the two most recently used sites are preselected.
If any of the selected sites have multiple rings, drive times, or walk times, the smallest one is always selected by default. You may expand the drop down and select a different one. You can also check the Expand rings, drive time or walk time checkbox to view the data for all of them in the comparison table.
- You can select a different comparison report from the Select report drop down, or create a new comparison report.
- Click the Switch rows and columns button to view the sites as rows and the data variables as columns.
- To export the data in the comparison table as an excel file, click Export.
- Click Chart to view the comparison as a chart.
- Click Print to print the chart.
- To modify the sites selected for the comparison, click Add sites.
The Add Sites dialog opens.
- The Recent tab will be open by default, listing sites you recently created.
- Select the checkbox for the sites that want to add to the comparison. To remove a site, deselect its checkbox.
- Select the Site name checkbox to automatically select all sites in the current tab (not available on the From projects tab).
- Click to search for sites by name.
- Currently on map- where the sites currently open on the map are listed.
- From projects- where you can add other sites from your current project, your other projects, or projects shared with you by other users.
- Neighbouring geographies- where you can select geographies and add them to the comparison table. The geographies available in each are based on the sites currently selected. This step alleviates the need to create geography sites just for comparison purposes. If you want to compare sites to a geography that is not automatically available here, you can create a geography site under Define Areas for Reports > Select Geography, and then select it for comparison. Each geography list is populated based on the sites you have selected. For example, for a point-based site, the County list includes the county where the point-based site lies. For a hand-drawn polygon, all counties that the polygon touches are added to the County drop-down.
- Statistical comparisons- where you can select the Average and/or Median of Sites to add to the comparison.
- When done, click Apply.
The Comparison table or chart will be updated with the data for the updated selection of sites, geographies and statistical comparisons.
Create new comparison report
To create a new comparison report you will perform the following steps:
- Expand the Select report drop-down and select Create new comparison report.
- Enter a name for your new comparison report, and click Save.
- To add variables to the report, click Add variables.
The Add variables to compare dialog opens.To search for variables, enter the search term in the search field, and click .
To browse by category, click on any of the thumbnails. The variables in that category will be displayed.
- You can quickly select any of the Popular variables
- To view variables in a subcategory, click on any of the options under Keep browsing.
- You can click the Show all 'Spending' variables option to view a list of all variables in this category.
- Click the Create your own 'Spending' variable option to launch Create Custom variable.
Selected variables will be displayed on the right. When done selecting variables in this category, click Back to return to the previous screen and continue browsing by category, or by any of the other grouping options. Refine results further by keyword.
- Saved variables- your previously saved variables, including custom variables
- Favorites- the variables you have marked as favorites
- By source- Refine results further by data source e.g. Esri, US Census, American Community Survey (ACS), etc.
- Show All- a complete list of all available variables. Refine results further by Year, Gender, Race, Source, etc.
To save the current selection of variables, click Save List. You can also quickly add a previously saved list of variables to the current comparison from the Saved lists drop-down.
- When done selecting variables, click Apply.
The comparison table will be updated with your selected variables.
- To Save this comparison, click Save. To open the comparison table in edit mode, click Edit.
Move the pointer over a row, or column header, and click to delete it. The symbol indicates that you and click and drag the row or column to change its position. To close the Edit view, click .
Note:Edit mode is not available in Chart view
In the Comparison table, you can click on next to a site, geography or statistical to see additional options.
You can click Make Benchmark to give it greater visual prominence as the highlighted first column.