1. Pick type of app
- What is the story you're trying to tell?
- Who is your audience?
- How knowledgeable is your audience about your topic?
- Decide on the essential components of your story: a map or scene, a collection of content within a group, videos, photos, and so on.
- Which app best suits the story you are trying to tell: a map-based app, a scene-based app, or a group-based app?
2. Build maps, scenes, or groups
- If you decide on a map-based app, create a map with Map Viewer or ArcGIS Desktop, or select a map that's been made available to you.
- If you decide on a scene-based app, create a scene with Scene Viewer or ArcGIS Pro, or select a scene that's been made available to you.
- If you decide on a group-based app, create a group and share items to it or select an existing group from your organization.
3. Assemble your content
Make sure the supporting material you need—photos, video, audio files, and text—are organized. Text should be as brief as possible. Most people don't like to read more than a few sentences.
4. Choose configurable app or builder
- For a map-based app, you can start from Map Viewer, the gallery page, the content page, or the map's item page. The gallery or content pages are good options if you want to pick the app first and add a map to it.
- For a group-based app, you can start from the group page, the gallery page, or the content page. The gallery or content pages are good options if you want to pick the app first and add a group to it.
- For a scene-based app, you can start from the gallery page, the content page, or the scene's item page. The gallery or content pages are good options if you want to pick the app first and add a scene to it.
- Learn more about how to choose a configurable app.
- Find additional configurable apps on the Story Maps website.
Creating an effective app is an iterative process. In most cases, you'll want to repeat one or more of these steps, returning to your app and its map or group to add, delete, or change features, edit your text, choose new photos, and so on.
You have several options for publishing. You can have your app hosted on ArcGIS Online, it can reside on your own organization's servers, or you can use third-party resources like Amazon.
Now that you have created your app, you can share it .
Try these quick resources to learn more about making apps: