Esri partners with Data Axle to create Business Locations datasets for the United States and Canada. Over 13 million U.S. businesses and over 1 million Canadian businesses are provided by Data Axle, covering all 50 states in the U.S. and all provinces and territories of Canada. Esri uses the Data Axle Business Locations data to also create Esri Business Summary data for the United States.
Data Axle Business Locations datasets are one part of a comprehensive portfolio of Places data—also known as points of interest (POI)—offered by Esri. Places data from Data Axle is focused specifically on business information, containing key content such as the following:
- Business name and location information.
- Primary and secondary industrial classification codes (NAICS-based and SIC-based).
- Business type designation: independent, branch, headquarters, or kiosk.
- Business annual sales data and employee counts.
- Shopping center name, brands, affiliations, and business headquarter information, when available.
A key differentiator of Data Axle business data is the addition of two proprietary digits onto the standard government-provided industrial classification codes. These extra two digits, which produce an eight-digit NAICS code and a six-digit SIC code, provide additional rich detail about the business type.
Vintage for the data is as follows:
- Business Locations—August 2023.
- Business Summary—February 2023.
- Migration Guide: Data Axle Business Locations 2023 explains why data users may observe differences when using 2023 Data Axle Business Locations in ArcGIS Business Analyst.
Update frequency for datasets is as follows:
- Quarterly—ArcGIS Business Analyst and ArcGIS Community Analyst web apps
- Annually—ArcGIS Business Analyst Desktop, ArcGIS Business Analyst Pro, and ArcGIS Business Analyst Enterprise
Reports and infographics
Data Axle Business Locations are found in ArcGIS Business Analyst in numerous standard infographics and classic reports. For more information, see the ArcGIS Business Analyst help topic Create infographics and reports.
- Classic report—Tabular, spreadsheet-style data reports that can be downloaded as PDFs or Excel documents. See sample reports Business Summary (PDF) and Business Locator (PDF).
- Infographics—Interactive data reports featuring compelling data visualizations, charts, and map graphics. See sample Eating Places infographic (PDF).
Note:It is important to take note of the number of credits required to access Business Locations. For more information, see Credits by capability in the ArcGIS Online help (scroll to Business Search, Infographics, and Reports).
Data Axle methodologies have changed for 2023. Refer to the reference documents for the correct data vintage. For variable lists, see the data catalogs.
- Esri 2023–2028 U.S. Data Catalog (XLS).
- 2023 U.S. Business Locations and Business Summary data Esri Methodology Statement (ArcGIS StoryMapsstory); a PDF is available.
Esri's Data Axle Business Location datasets are available in the following products:
- ArcGIS Business Analyst Web App and ArcGIS Community Analyst Web App—Data Axle Business Location data is available as a core dataset.
- ArcGIS Business Analyst Desktop— Data Axle Business Location data is part of the U.S. dataset. See Download and install the U.S. dataset.
- ArcGIS Pro with a Business Analyst license—Data Axle Business Location data can be used locally in file geodatabase format by downloading U.S. Data from My Esri. See the ArcGIS Pro Generate points from Business Listings (Business Analyst) topic to learn more.
- ArcGIS Business Analyst Enterprise—Data Axle Business Location data can be used in your local infrastructure and include a U.S.A. data pack.
For information about purchasing Esri Demographics data as stand-alone datasets, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.