When you draw shapes that overlap other shapes. The shape creation features such as splitting, combining, or automatic closing, are available depending on the configuration of the Tool Options.
- To use the CityEngine tools, ensure the Tool Options window is open by clicking Window > Tool Options in the main menu.
- Not all CityEngine tools have options under Tool Options.
You can split shapes using the Polygonal Shape Creation tool . When the first and last vertex are snapped to an edge or vertex of the same shape, and the whole line is contained in this face, it is automatically split into two parts.
To create a shape that closes along the edges of connected shapes, do the following:
- Click the Automatic Closing toggle key in the Polygonal Shape Creation tool options .
Ensure that Shapes option is enabled under Snapping.
- Snap the first point to an edge or vertex of a shape and continue to the last point.
- Snap the last point to an edge or vertex that is indirectly or directly connected.
The polygon is automatically closed along the indirect connection.
To automatically close shapes, ensure the toggle key is on before placing the first point.
To combine shapes into one shape, click any of the shape creation tools and draw a shape that snaps to an existing shape. Ensure that Shapes option is enabled under Snapping in the shape creation tool options.
Force New Shape
When drawing a shape that overlaps an existing shape, you can force a new shape to be drawn instead of combining the shapes into one. Click the Polygonal Shape Creation tool and click the Force New Shape toggle key in tool options.