This section describes how to create a mission in ArcGIS Mission Manager and add details after the mission is created.
Create a new mission
A new mission creates resources that are used for situational awareness and communication. These resources include teams who communicate with each other during the mission, a mission map to visualize and interact with the mission by providing geospatial and temporal situational awareness of the mission area and events, and more. The following steps describe how to create a mission. For additional details, see Create a New Mission tab.
- Click the Create a New Mission tab or click Create a New Mission on the home screen.
The Create a New Mission panel appears.
- Provide the following information:
- Mission name (required)
- Summary (optional)
- Additional details (optional)
- Description—Additional information relevant to the mission, similar to the summary.
- Tags—Tags allows searches in the future. You can choose tags from the drop-down list or create custom tags. Press Enter after typing a tag to save it.
Anything included here can be edited on the Mission Details page.
- Choose a basemap.
A default basemap is also provided.
- Zoom in to the desired map extent for your mission map. You can also choose an existing map.
- Click Create New Mission.
A dialog box appears with a status bar. A message indicates that the mission creation is successful. If mission creation fails, the reason is displayed on the status dialog box.
- Click Continue to Mission Details.
Add mission details
On the Overview tab, you can view information about the mission, including the following:
- Creation date
- Date of last modification
- Mission owner
You also have the following options:
- Change the information entered during the initial mission creation.
- Select or edit the mission thumbnail.
- Change the mission's status between draft, active, and complete, as necessary.
- Open your mission and participate.
- Delete your mission.
You can also use the other tabs on the Mission Details page to add information to your mission.
The Members tab allows you to add members to the current mission. The list of members is determined by your organization's portal.
- Add mission members.
Adding a portal user to the current mission creates a mission member. This allows the member to access details, content, and materials about the mission and to actively contribute to the mission.
The Teams tab allows the mission owner to create, edit, and delete teams in the current mission. These teams are composed of members added to the mission on the Members tab. Mission members can be part of more than one team, or none, as teams are not required for a mission.
Use the Map tab to create your mission map. The tab includes tools for building and editing mission maps. You can also add reference layers to the mission map to provide additional context to the mission.
Use the Reports tab to preview the report information including Title, Created By, Created Date, and a brief description about the report. Clicking the check box allows you to preview a read-only view of a sample report.
Additional Materials tab
Mission owners and administrators can provide supporting resources and other information for mission members on the Additional Materials tab. This can include pictures, PowerPoint slides, PDFs, and so on.
Change your mission status
The mission status can only be changed on the Mission Details page. You have the options of Draft, Active, and Complete. You can change your mission status at any time. To change your mission status, see Mission status.
You are now ready to participate in a mission.