Distributed collaboration is available for Insights in ArcGIS Enterprise and Insights in ArcGIS Online. The collaboration itself is made through the ArcGIS Online or ArcGIS Enterprise portals.
A distributed collaboration is a connection between two or more trusted portals that allows you to organize and share content between individuals, businesses, and communities. Once you've established a trusted collaboration, you are able to extend your GIS content to a network of participants. Shared content becomes discoverable for each participant in the collaboration.
A collaboration can be set up between two or more ArcGIS Enterprise portals or between ArcGIS Enterprise and ArcGIS Online. There are two common patterns for leveraging a collaboration:
- Collaboration between two portals
- Collaboration between multiple portals with one central portal
Collaboration allows you to share your Insights work with other ArcGIS Enterprise deployments and with ArcGIS Online. Users can then view your pages and workbooks and even take your models and re-create their own data exploration and analysis workflows using them as a framework. For more information, including example use cases and overview steps for setting up a collaboration, see About distributed collaboration.
Insights items are currently supported in distributed collaborations for Insights versions using ArcGIS Enterprise 10.7 or later or ArcGIS Online. For more information on support between Insights and ArcGIS Enterprise, see Compatibility with ArcGIS Enterprise.
The following items can be used in Insights and shared through distributed collaboration:
- Feature Layer
- Insights Page
- Insights Model
- Insights Workbook
- Insights Theme
The following limitations exist for distributed collaborations:
- Insights items cannot be shared from ArcGIS Online to ArcGIS Enterprise.
- Items cannot be shared from a newer version of Insights to an older version of Insights.
- Relational database connection items cannot be shared in a collaboration. The database connection should be created in each Insights in ArcGIS Enterprise organization to access database datasets.
- Shared workbooks from a collaboration can only be accessed in viewer mode.
- Workbooks from a collaboration cannot be duplicated in the recipient ArcGIS Online or ArcGIS Enterprise portal.
- Insights datasets, such as result datasets shared from Insights, are not supported when shared between portals that are not hosted on the same network (either two portals on different networks, or one portal and ArcGIS Online). If the collaboration is not contained within a single network, it is best practice to only share feature layer items that were created in or published to ArcGIS Online or your ArcGIS Enterprise portal through the collaboration, rather than sharing datasets that were created in Insights. The feature layers must also allow offline editing or collaboration.
Use the following resources to learn more about distributed collaboration: