Esri's Updated Demographics data includes current-year estimates and five-year projections of U.S. demographic data. Esri develops the annual demographic datasets using a variety of sources, beginning with the latest base, and adding a mixture of administrative records and private sources to capture changes. Categories include the following:
- Population—Such as age, sex, race, Hispanic origin, labor force, educational attainment, marital status, life-stage and age dependency ratios, civilian labor force, and employment by industry and occupation
- Households—Such as total households, total family households, and average household size
- Income—Such as household income, per capita income, income by age, disposable income, net worth, percent of income for mortgage, and wealth index
- Daytime Population—Covers both workers (civilians employed at work and armed forces personnel) and daytime residents (population under 16 years of age, the unemployed, those not in the labor force, and the civilian employed temporarily absent from work)
- Housing—Such as home value, tenure (owner/renter), vacant units, and housing affordability index
- Historical Time Series—For population, households, and housing units
Esri's Updated Demographics data figures are point estimates, representing July 1 of the current and forecast years.
The following documents describe the detailed methodology used for Esri Updated Demographics data:
- 2021 Esri Daytime Population Methodology Statement
- 2021/2026 Esri Dependency Ratios Methodology Statement
- 2021/2026 Esri Diversity Index Methodology Statement
- 2021/2026 Esri Updated Demographics Methodology Statement
- Vintage 2021 Esri Time Series Totals Methodology Statement
- 2020 Esri Age Dependency Ratios (PDF)
- 2020 Esri Daytime Population (PDF)
- 2020/2025 Esri Updated Demographics (PDF)
- 2020/2025 Esri Diversity Index (PDF)
- Vintage 2020 Esri Time Series Totals (PDF)
The following sample demographic reports are available:
- Age by Sex Profile (PDF)
- Age by Sex by Race Profile (PDF)
- Age 50+ Profile (PDF)
- Civilian Labor Force Profile (PDF)
- Community Profile (PDF)
- Demographic and Income Profile (PDF)
- Demographic and Income Comparison Profile (PDF)
- Detailed Age Profile (PDF)
- Disposable Income Profile (PDF)
- Executive Summary (PDF)
- Graphic Profile (PDF)
- Household Income Profile (PDF)
- Housing Profile (PDF)
- Market Profile (PDF)
- Net Worth Profile (PDF)
- Time Series Profile (PDF)
For more information about reports and the products that contain them, visit ArcGIS Apps.
For information about the number of credits needed to run reports, see Credits by capability.
Esri's Updated Demographics data is available in various products including the following:
- ArcGIS Living Atlas of the World—Access ready-to-use maps.
- ArcGIS Business Analyst—View a sample infographic.
- ArcGIS Community Analyst
- ArcGIS for Office
- ArcGIS for Power BI
- ArcGIS GeoEnrichment Service
- ArcGIS Online—Browse maps and layers.
For information about purchasing Esri's Updated Demographics data as a stand-alone dataset, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn how to understand, interpret, and use Updated Demographics variables and databases such as dependency ratios, income, Market Potential, and more: