Add a location type
You can use a dynamic map service or feature service from ArcGIS to specify a location type. For example, if your organization has its own boundaries (water districts, sales districts, or zoning boundaries), you can map your data using those locations instead of the default location types.
When adding a dynamic map service or feature service as a location type, ensure that there is a one-to-one relationship between the rows in your SAP Dashboards data and the features in the service you choose. For more information, see Location types.
- Press Add location type.
- In the search box, type one or more keywords and press Enter to search for the service you want to use as a location type. You can press My organization to narrow your results.
You can use advanced keyword searches to narrow your results by specifying how you want to search for an item. To learn how, see Use search.
- Find the service you want and press Select.
- Choose the layer you want to use to look up locations and press Next.
- Select the columns containing the attributes you want to use for looking up locations. Press Next.
- In the Name box, type a name for your location type. Optionally, type a description in the Description box.
- Press Add.
Your location type is added to the list.
If you made a mistake when adding your location type, you can delete it by selecting it in the list and pressing Delete location type.
- Choose your new location type from the list and press Next.
- Select the columns containing the location information and press Next.
- Select the format of the column data you're adding. If you want a different name for the layer, type a new name in the Layer name box.
- Press Add data to map.
A layer containing the data is added to the map and is listed in the Contents pane.
If your data contains large geometries, you can use the Generalize features option for the layer. Generalization removes extraneous bends and small intrusions and extrusions from a line or polygon boundary without destroying its essential shape. This can help improve performance when large geometries are downloaded to Esri Maps for SAP BusinessObjects. To turn on Generalize features, press the arrow to the right of the layer on the Contents pane and press the On/Off selector beside Generalize features.