Use the Drill through function to filter details from an ArcGIS for Power BI map report page to other report visualizations.
Use the Microsoft drill through feature to filter details from an ArcGIS for Power BI map report page to other report visualizations.
Drill through is a Microsoft feature that is available across Microsoft Power BI. When you use the Drill through function in ArcGIS for Power BI, you can filter map data details to the report context you specify.
The Drill through function in ArcGIS for Power BI is available from the context menu on a map or from the Build visual tab in the Visualization pane. To access the context menu, you must have added shareable content to the map that can be shared with other Power BI report visualizations, such as a data layer, a reference layer, or a Buffer/Drive time analysis.
To use the Drill through function from the Build visual tab in the Visualization pane, complete the following steps:
- Add a data layer to an ArcGIS for Power BI map that includes other visualizations and save the report.
You can use Power BI Desktop or the Power BI service (powerbi.com) to create a map-enabled report.
- With the ArcGIS for Power BI visual active in Power BI, drag an attribute from the Data pane to the Drill through field well on the Build visual tab of the Visualization pane.
- Turn on the Cross-report toggle button to enable a contextual relationship between the map and other reports.
When Cross-report is turned on, you can contextually move from one report to another in the same Power BI service or desktop instance. Use Cross-report to connect two or more reports with related content and improve filter context.
- Set the Summarized or Used as category filter options for a selected drill-through attribute. When you add an attribute to the Drill through field well, you can set a filter for the attribute's data to be summarized or used as a category.
- Summarized—Aggregate all data in the selected attribute. The map updates to show locations that contain any of the aggregate values.
- Used as category—Choose a value from a list of attributes. The map updates to show only those locations that contain the chosen value.
- Click the Lock button to prevent other report users from editing the filter.
- Turn on the Keep all filters toggle button to apply the drill-through attribute filters that you set in the previous step to all instances of those attributes in your other Power BI report pages.
Filtered drill-through attributes from other pages of the report can be shown on the map when the Keep all filters toggle button is turned on. They are italicized and appear in the Drill through field well. See the Pass all filters in drillthrough section of the Set up drillthrough in Power BI reports Microsoft article for more information.