Configure styles for a layer
In this topic
The style currently applied to a layer is shown in the Contents pane when you display the layer's legend by clicking the plus sign (+). You can configure one or more styles for a layer using the Style pane.
You might want to create different styles to customize the display of the data. You can choose from the preconfigured styles to draw the layer in different ways. The style you applied last before saving the map is the style that is displayed by default for a layer when the map is opened.
If you configure multiple styles, you can easily rename or remove them.
Styles can be configured and updated for layers created from MicroStrategy data or for feature service layers from ArcGIS.
You can configure one or more styles for each layer. Choose the properties you want for each style.
When you configure multiple styles, each style is given a default name. You can give the style a more descriptive name at any time.
- In the Contents pane, click the Configure layer button beside the layer for which you want to configure styles.
- Click Style.
- In the Style pane, do one of the following:
- If you want to configure a single style for the layer, skip to the next step.
- If you want to configure an additional style, create a new style by clicking Add a style.
A new style is created with a default name. The styling options of the last style you had selected are applied to the new style. To give the style a more descriptive name, select the default name and type a new name.
- Do one of the following to configure style properties:
- Repeat the previous two steps to create additional styles.
You can quickly change the basic properties of a style directly from the Contents pane or from the floating legend (if enabled). From the Contents pane, click the arrow to display the layer's legend, choose the style you want to modify if multiple styles are configured, and click the symbol or shape you want to modify. Depending on the layer type, different options are available. For lines and polygons, choose a new color for the shape. Point layers can be styled using symbols or shapes. If symbols were used for styling, choose a different icon from the drop-down menu. If shapes were used, choose a new color.
Remove a style
You can remove any of the styles you configured.
- In the Style pane, ensure the style you want to remove is selected in the drop-down menu.
- Click Remove style.
- Click Yes on the prompt window.
The style is removed.
Apply a configured style
Once you have configured two or more styles, you can choose a different style to apply to the layer and display on the map. The style applied when the map is saved will be applied the next time the map is loaded.
- From the Style drop-down menu in the Style pane, choose the style you want to apply.
- Save and close the map.