Share a map on ArcGIS
Sharing a map created in Esri Maps for IBM Cognos to ArcGIS is a quick way to share information with others in or outside of your organization. You can share individual layers or the entire map. When you share a map, a web map is created in ArcGIS.
If the map you're sharing contains layers created from IBM Cognos data, these layers will represent a snapshot of the current IBM Cognos data in the shared map.
You can only share a map to ArcGIS if you are signed in with an organizational account that has publisher permissions and if sharing has been enabled by your organization's administrator and the report author. If you're unsure of your account permissions, contact your ArcGIS subscription administrator. To learn more about enabling or disabling sharing, see Configure administrative settings and Configure map settings and tools.
- Sign in to ArcGIS if you are not already signed in.
- From the Tools menu, choose Share map.
- Specify a title, tags, and description for the map and choose whether to share it with everyone (public), your organization, or any groups to which you belong. These fields are used to display information about the map in ArcGIS and are also used for searching.
- Click Share to share the map to ArcGIS as a web map. Note that publishing can take several minutes depending on the amount of data in your map.
Once the map has published successfully, a message appears at the bottom of the Contents pane along with a link to view the shared map in ArcGIS.
You can update the map and republish it to ArcGIS by clicking Update shared map and modifying the information you entered as needed.
- Click the link at the bottom of the Contents pane to view the published map. The web map details page opens in ArcGIS. The details page displays the title, tags, and description that you entered previously.
- Click Open to open the map in the ArcGIS map viewer, ArcGIS Explorer Online, or, if installed, ArcGIS for Desktop.