Drawing and editing of shapes and streets
- Removed the locked coordinate system functionality in the transform tools and replaced it with custom reference systems.
- Added a new tool to define custom reference systems in the viewport located under Edit in the main menu.
- Extended snapping functionality to geometry for the reposition and reorient handle of all transform tools.
- Fixed the ToolTips for the reference system in all transform tools.
- Fixed a bug in which the scale tool handle got distorted using the object coordinate system.
- You can now snap to intersection points of guides and faces.
- Fixed a bug in which snapping didn't work correctly when using the force planar mode or orthogonal snapping.
- Fixed a bug in which snapping didn't work correctly for faces in combination with a length constraint.
- Fixed multiple bugs to improve snapping when using arcs.
- You can now store the current selection as a selection set using the tool option window of the Selection tool.
- You can store and load dynamic shapes in selection sets.
- When creating a selection set, you now have the option to overwrite an existing one.
- The shape creation tools have a new Force New Shape tool option.
- The Push Pull Tool has a new Force New Edges tool option.
- Fixed several bugs with the Push Pull Tool related to shapes with holes.
- Fixed a bug in the Push Pull Tool that prevented the removal of side-planes when reducing the extrusion to zero.
- Fixed a bug that caused crashes when using the Push Pull Tool on edges.
- Fixed a bug in the Rectangular Shape Creation Tool that prevented the creation of a hole in existing shapes.
- Fixed a bug that led to extra vertices when creating a hole on a shape with a coplanar model.
- Fixed a bug that caused a rule not to be automatically assigned to street nodes.
- The Street Creation tools are now grouped as subtools in the tool options.
- The Offset tool arrow handle is now easier to grab.
- Undo/Redo is now more robust when using shape creation tools.
- The tool options now have a vertical scroll bar.
- Fixed a bug in the measurement tool in which the endpoint periodically could not be repositioned.
- Added the new Smooth Range function that creates a smooth transition between the edited and the original terrain.
- Added the new Constant Gradient function that creates a transition with a constant steep slope between the edited and the original terrain.
- The Smooth Range and Constant Gradient functions are available when aligning terrains to shapes.
- Added a hot key for the elevation picker in the terrain editing tool for easier access.
- Made improvements in the internal storage and handling of terrain edits that lead to smoother and more precise results.
- Fixed a bug in which terrains with duplicate names were not selectable in the Align Terrain to Shapes dialog box.
- Fixed a bug in which editing the resolution of a terrain reverted all elevation edits.
- You can now duplicate and move Dashboards cards to other Dashboard pages.
- You can now duplicate entire Dashboard pages.
- Dashboard cards now show an error when referencing reports that are no longer present instead of silently using the alphabetically next report.
- The viewport now renders shapes correctly with very small faces.
- Improved render quality of models with normal maps.
- Fixed an issue that caused render artifacts when shapes are self-intersecting.
- Sliders for street shape parameters work reliably now.
- Added the new Epic Games Unreal Editor mouse scheme (Preferences > General > Navigation Devices > Mouse).
- You can now use the Crop Image tool when a scene isn't open.
- All algorithms that use map layers, such as align terrain to shapes, are now considering the scenario settings.
- Added missing translations for some preferences.
- Improved the visual quality of the CityEngine application icon in the taskbar on Windows.
Import and export
- CityEngine no longer exports “No data” areas of terrains to 3D geometry formats.
- The Merge Vertices option no longer removes very small faces when exporting to 3D geometry formats.
BIM/CAD support: IFC support
- Added the buildingSMART IFC importer and exporter to enable visualization of BIM data.
- The Autodesk DWG importer now reads vertex normals when present.
- The Autodesk DWG importer now reads textures with absolute paths.
- Fixed a bug in which Autodesk DWG wasn't listed in the import dialog box.
- Fixed a crash when importing an Autodesk DWG file with certain spline configurations.
OSM: Better buildings in Get Map Data
- Improved the OSM importer to support the OSM 3D buildings with more advanced geometry consisting of multiple parts and relations.
- OSM buildings are now represented in a neutral white shading by default.
- Fixed a bug in which a coordinate system wasn't suggested for the scene when importing OSM files only containing relations.
Datasmith (Unreal Engine)
- The Datasmith exporter now stores metadata with finer granularity on instanced Static Mesh Actors. The parent actor still receives all the metadata.
- Improved the heuristic of setting the blend mode for transparent materials, resulting in fewer rendering artifacts in unreal.
- Fixed a bug in which the UV coordinates for dirt maps were not exported to Datasmith.
- Polygon edges on static model street center lines and street node handles are now set to invisible by default on export.
- Create 360 VR experiences with nondefault render settings using the 3D viewport render settings.
- Fixed a bug in which graph layers with names longer than 31 characters couldn't be exported to DXF.
- The FBX importer now supports embedded textures on binary FBX files and applies opacity maps.
- Fixed a bug in the FBX importer in which assets created by 3DS Max were sometimes wrongly composited.
- The USD exporter now has an option to triangulate the exported meshes.
- The SLPK exporter now handles transparent materials correctly; there are no more rendering artifacts in transparent materials when zooming out.
Procedural modeling language (CGA)
- The new CityEngine CGA Material Encoder exports each material of a generated model to a folder containing a *.cgamat file and all used textures.
- The new readMaterial function reads CGA material definitions (.cgamat files).
- Added support for reading assets in the (.ifc) format. The structure of the elements in .ifc files is retained as much as possible and encoded in the group names.
- The envelope, scatter, and splitArea operations now preserve groups; all CGA operations keep the group names and structure. This enables advanced visualization workflows, such as when working with .ifc files.
- The new sortIndices and sortRowIndices functions allow you to sort elements in an array.
- The new setElems function sets individual elements in an array.
- Extended the string concatenation operator. You can now concatenate strings with arrays.
- Fixed a wrong resulting scope translation for the envelope operation.
- Fixed a rare crash in the split, trim, and insertAlongUV operations when face materials are present.
See the 2021.1 CGA changelog for a comprehensive list of changes and bug fixes.
- Added the new Find Unused Declarations feature to the context menu which reports unused attributes, functions, const functions, and rules in the search view.
- Unused rules and functions are no longer written to the CGB. This reduces file size and maximizes compatibility with older procedural runtime versions.
- Removed warnings for unused declarations. The new Find Unused Declarations option is available in the CGA Editor.
- Fixed a bug in which nonmatching return types across styles were not detected on imports. This resulted in a crash when switching styles.
- Fixed a bug that led to an unhandled error in rare cases when a recursive function was also defined in another style.
- Fixed a bug in RPK creation in which asset search queries containing single quotes were not handled correctly in automatic asset detection.
- Fixed a bug in which assets with uppercase file extensions were not handled correctly in automatic asset detection.
- Added IFCExportModelSettings and IFCImportSettings to export and import IFC files.
- Added CGAMATExportModelSettings to export materials to the cgamat material format.
See the 2021.1 Python changelog for a comprehensive list of changes and bug fixes.
- Released the new CityEngine Tour tutorial. This tutorial serves as an introduction to the CityEngine urban design capabilities and is intended for new users.
- Updated Tutorial 10: Python scripting and it now works with the latest Autodesk Maya.
- Updated the screenshots in Tutorial 17: Desert city to match the current plant library.
- Updated Tutorial 18: Handles to match the latest UI changes.
- Fixed Tutorial 19: VFX Workflows with Alembic to correctly generate the included temple model.
- Improved the documentation of Tutorial 20: Local edits to better explain the local edits workflow and use.
- Updated various tutorials to remove deprecated CGA syntax.
- The Building_From_OpenStreetMap.cga rule now supports building parts and relations and uses the new OSM import design from this release.
- The Urban rule is updated to version 1.3.0.
- Fixed a bug in the Software Authorization component for RHEL 8 when using the Single Use license type. Note that support for RHEL 8 is still experimental in CityEngine 2021.1.