A swipe block is an interactive experience that allows readers to compare two maps or images.
Add a swipe block to a story
Use the following steps to build a swipe block:
- Click the open button to open the block palette.
- Select Swipe.
A swipe block is added to the story.
- Add media to each side of the swipe block.
- For images, click Add an image on one side of the swipe block and upload an image from your files. Repeat this to add an image to the other side of the swipe block. For more information, see What media file types and sizes are supported in ArcGIS StoryMaps.
- For web maps, click Add web map on one side of the swipe block and choose a web map from the map browser. Repeat this to add a web map to the other side of the swipe block.
- For express maps, click Add express map on one side of the swipe block and add an express map. Duplicate the express map and make changes to it or add a new express map to the other side of the swipe block.
Swipe block building tips
Consider the following when building a swipe block:
- The size of a swipe block can be adjusted on the swipe block toolbar, which appears when you hover the pointer over the swipe block.
- For swipe blocks with maps, map configuration options such as map navigation, enabling the legend, and editing the legend title can be configured in Swipe options by clicking Options in the swipe block toolbar.
- For swipe blocks with images, you can select Fit or Fill in the display options.
Add alternative text
Adding alternative (alt) text is recommended for all swipe blocks to provide support for search engines and readers using assistive technologies.
Use the following steps to add alt text to a swipe block:
- Hover the pointer over the swipe block to open the editing toolbar.
- On the editing toolbar, click the Properties button.
- Provide alt text that describes the swipe block and click Save.
The alt text is added to the swipe block.