This topic describes features of survey creation that are planned or in progress.
For a list of known error messages that you may receive when saving or publishing a survey, see Troubleshoot.
To report or learn more about bugs in Survey123, visit Support.
- The Other and Select other labels for select_one and select_multiple questions do not appear in languages other than English.
- I can't save changes to the .xlsx form when creating a new survey on a machine using OpenOffice.
- Survey123 Connect hangs indefinitely when I try to publish a survey with non-ASCII characters in its name.
- My link to open Navigator for ArcGIS to a specific location isn't working.
- The Survey123 XLSForm template refuses all name values when using OpenOffice and LibreOffice.
- Calculations in integer questions that result in a decimal value will display the decimal value in red.
- I can't apply a cascading select to a select_multiple question.
- My survey has a repeat inside of another repeat, and I can no longer submit surveys or publish my survey.
- Questions that reference external files do not work on iOS but do on all other platforms.
- My survey doesn't validate when being created from a feature service with a related table.
- I cannot generate a survey from a layer that is not the first layer in my feature service.
- Browser-based sign in doesn't automatically navigate back to the app on Windows and Linux.
The Other and Select other labels for select_one and select_multiple questions do not appear in languages other than English.
Survey123 Connect hangs indefinitely when I try to publish a survey with non-ASCII characters in its name.
This is an issue with the XLSForm template when using OpenOffice or LibreOffice, where all attempts to enter something into the name column return an error message indicating that the value must be less than 32 characters with no spaces or ASCII characters (even if the value already follows these requirements). This is because OpenOffice and LibreOffice use semicolons to separate arguments in formulas, while Excel uses commas. Because the template is designed with Excel in mind, these other applications can't properly read the formula used to restrict invalid characters. This can be solved by replacing the commas with semicolons. In both applications, this is done by opening the Data menu and selecting Validation.
Calculations in integer questions that result in a decimal value will display the decimal value in red.
The result of a calculation is always returned in the answer of a question, in full. If the answer contains decimal values, these will be returned. If the question is of type integer, the decimal values will be displayed, but the answer will be recognized as being invalid and therefore appear in red. To ensure the answer is returned as a valid integer, use the int() function in your calculation.
My survey has a repeat inside of another repeat, and I can no longer submit surveys or publish my survey.
iOS has stricter case sensitivity than other platforms. If you refer to external files in your XLSForm, be sure to use the correct capitalization for the file name and contents within the file.
External files to consider include: CSV files used with the pulldata() function, images or audio that are shown on your form, or tile packages that are used in geopoint questions to display an offline basemap.
In Survey123 Connect, you can choose to create a new survey from an existing feature service. A new XLSForm will be generated containing questions for each of the fields in the first feature layer of the service and any tables that are related to that first layer. If you need to create a survey from a feature layer that is not the first layer in the service, you must author a new form and specify which layer in the feature service it should connect to using the form ID and submission URL.
This is a known limitation of browser-based sign in with Windows and Linux operating systems. These platforms instead provide a string of text to paste into the app that will complete the sign in process. This workaround is intended to be replaced by the functionality seen in other platforms in the future.