The Batch Attribute Editor widget allows you to select features—either related features, based on another layer, or by sketching in a shape—and update common attributes at the same time. For example, an operations manager can use the Batch Attribute Editor widget to select assets (features) that need to be inspected and assign these features to a specific field crew.
If the same field from different layers has a different domain, only one domain will be shown and used.
If the map has several subtypes, only the subtype field in the REST endpoint is used and not all of them. This is a known limitation. Once you select the description from the drop-down menu, the coded value is stored in the text field since the validation on it is expecting a numeric value.
Configuring the Batch Attribute Editor widget
This widget can be set to open automatically when an app starts. Click the Do not open this widget when the app starts button on the widget to turn on the option to open the widget automatically. (For widgets you need to add to the app first, you can make this setting after configuring the widget.)
- Hover over the widget and click the Configure this widget button to open the configuration window.
If you need to add the widget to the app first, click a widget placeholder on the Widget tab. In the Choose Widget window that opens, select the widget and click OK.
- Optionally click the Change widget icon button and replace it with your own image. A file explorer window appears, allowing you to choose a local image file to use as the widget icon.
- On the Define Selection Type tab, choose one of the following methods to select features:
- Select by Area—Select a shape and sketch it on the map. During configuration, a user can select which drawing tools to allow.
- Select by Feature—Select a polygon feature and update all within the area.
- Select by Feature & Related Features—Select a feature and update all related features.
The widget supports these three methods to generate a selected set of records to update. You can only choose one of the methods. If you require more than one of these methods, create a new instance of the widget.
- Click the Define Layer to Update tab, select the layer or layers to be updated, and update the highlighted symbol for each layer.
- Click the Define Field to Update tab and select the common fields to be updated.
- To customize the widget description, update the Text to display at the top of the widget text box.
- Click OK to save and close the Batch Attribute Editor widget configuration.
Using the Batch Attribute Editor widget
- Click the widget icon to open the Batch Attribute Editor widget.
- Select the layer or layers to be updated. To filter the features in the layer, click the Edit tool in the filter column.
- Choose a tool or a feature to draw on the map (this is based on your configuration of the widget) and select the features to be updated.
- Define the new value for the selected features and save.
- If you select more than one feature with different values, you will see Keep Existing Values as the default.
- If you select more than one feature with different values and the field has a domain, the drop-down list will show all the domain values. In the list, the existing values used by the features are underlined.
To update data to NULL, select No Value in the drop-down list. Leaving the field blank will keep existing values of the features.