Survey123 can be used with ArcGIS Enterprise, a product that allows organizations to host ArcGIS capabilities within their own infrastructure, in two ways:
- Use https://survey123.arcgis.com with ArcGIS Enterprise. This is the most common, and recommended, way to work with ArcGIS Enterprise.
- Install the Survey123 website alongside a deployment of ArcGIS Enterprise. This is required to support a disconnected environment. Installing the Survey123 website requires configuration by a system administrator.
In most cases, the functionality of ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS Enterprise is the same, but there are some exceptions. The following describes the specific requirements and behaviors when using Survey123 with ArcGIS Enterprise.
You should only install the Survey123 website if you have a specific requirement to host the Survey123 website or Survey123 REST API on your own infrastructure. There is otherwise no benefit to using the installed Survey123 website, but there are some disadvantages and limitations; for example, setup and maintenance overhead, and the absence of the feature report functionality. In most cases https://survey123.arcgis.com should be the preferred option.
Using Survey123 with ArcGIS Enterprise requires a base ArcGIS Enterprise deployment, and you must have your unique ArcGIS Enterprise portal URL available. For more information, see Installation and Deployment of ArcGIS Enterprise.
If your ArcGIS Enterprise version is 10.5 or earlier, it must be configured to connect to https://survey123.arcgis.com.
To sign in to your portal in Survey123 Connect, click Settings in the upper right corner of the app's sign-in screen. To sign in to your portal in the Survey123 field app, open the Menu on the home page, select Settings , and open the Connections tab. All portals that the app has previously signed in to are listed (if you haven't previously signed in to any portals, the only predefined option is ArcGIS Online), and a text box to enter a new portal's URL is provided. Enter your organization's portal URL, select Add connection, and select the Back button in the upper left corner to sign in with your organizational credentials.
To sign in to your portal in the Survey123 website, browse to the following URL in your browser, with the provided example portal replaced with your own portal's URL:
The website opens in development mode, with a message in the top bar listing your portal URL. Sign in to the website with your portal credentials. The website displays existing surveys from the portal, and you can create new ones.
To configure Survey123 Connect to use your locally installed API, go to Settings > Services and enter the URL of your installation, for example, https://yourMachine.domain.com:5443/api. You can verify that Survey123 Connect is using your locally installed API by using a web debugging proxy server application (for example, Fiddler or Charles) and observing the request sent by the computer running Survey123 Connect. You should now see the xls2xform request going to your machine instead of https://survey123.arcgis.com.
ArcGIS Survey123 can be used with ArcGIS Enterprise configured with a base deployment. Portal for ArcGIS 10.4 or later with a hosting server and ArcGIS Data Store is also supported when using https://survey123.arcgis.com.
Installation of the Survey123 website on your own infrastructure requires ArcGIS Enterprise 10.7 or later. If installing on a stand-alone web server, the same Microsoft Windows operating system requirements and hardware requirements as ArcGIS Enterprise 10.7 apply. Installation files are only available for Windows.
Surveys published to ArcGIS Enterprise have the limitations listed below, which are different from those published to ArcGIS Online.
Feature layer limitations
Limitations with feature layers include the following:
- You cannot publish surveys to ArcGIS Enterprise that use certain reserved keywords as field names, such as end (field names containing these keywords are acceptable, such as endSurvey, as long as they are not exactly the keyword). Reserved keywords are listed in the Reserved worksheet of the Survey123 XLSForm templates.
- All field names must be lowercase when publishing to ArcGIS Enterprise.
- A feature layer published to a portal has a limit of 500 columns, including system fields, meaning that your survey can have no more than 496 questions. The workaround for this limit is to include a repeat, and set repeat_count to 1 to extend the survey over multiple tables. This limitation is imposed by the enterprise geodatabase, not the portal. For more information, see Enterprise geodatabase size and name limits.
- The name of a question in the survey worksheet must be fewer than 32 characters. Additionally, when using Portal for ArcGIS 10.4.1 or earlier, the maximum name length for questions in a repeat and for a form ID is 19 characters.
- You cannot upload Survey123 content to ArcGIS Enterprise or Portal for ArcGIS if you are not using ArcGIS Data Store.
- When ArcGIS Enterprise is deployed in a disconnected environment, survey templates, samples, and submission URLs to ArcGIS Online feature layers do not work.
- Submission URLs cannot be used directly with a nonfederated ArcGIS Server feature layer. A workaround is provided by registering the service with ArcGIS Online or ArcGIS Enterprise.
Survey123 website limitations
Limitations with the Survey123 website include the following:
- Feature layer views aren't supported for federated feature layers published from an enterprise geodatabase, and aren't available in ArcGIS Enterprise-hosted services earlier than version 10.6.
- Printing using feature report templates does not work with ArcGIS Enterprise deployments that aren't public facing. Attempting to do so will present a getaddrinfo ENOTFOUND error.
- Printing using feature report templates does not work with ArcGIS Enterprise deployments that use Integrated Windows Authentication (IWA).
- Surveys shared publicly cannot be accessed via the web app on Internet Explorer 11 or Microsoft Edge when using ArcGIS Enterprise deployments that use IWA.
- Images, audio, and file attachments that have been submitted to the feature layer are not linked to the question to which they were submitted in ArcGIS Enterprise versions earlier than 10.8.1.
- The results of your survey can't be exported in KML format.
- The results of your survey can't be exported in XLSX (Excel) format when using ArcGIS Enterprise versions earlier than 10.6.
- When the Survey123 website is installed on your own infrastructure, the reporting API cannot be used. Reports can only be generated when using https://survey123.arcgis.com/.
Mobile devices and ArcGIS Enterprise
For an overview of the security capabilities available for the ArcGIS platform components, as well as current best practices, see ArcGIS security.