There are typically two components of Survey123 to install: Survey123 Connect on a desktop to create surveys, and the Survey123 field app on a device to collect survey data.
Install ArcGIS Survey123 Connect
Survey123 Connect is available from the Microsoft Store. You can install Survey123 Connect directly onto your device from this store.
You can also download the Survey123 Connect installation file for Windows from the Survey123 Resources page.
Double-click the file to install, and do the following:
- Click Next.
- Choose the installation folder (the default is preferred).
- Accept the license agreement.
- Nominate the start menu name.
- Click Install.
The application files are in the following location on Windows: C:\Users\<username>\Applications\ArcGIS\ArcGISSurvey123Connect
Typically, you will not edit these files. If you want to uninstall Survey123 Connect, browse to this folder and choose Uninstall ArcGISSurvey123.
Survey data files are in the following location: C:\Users\<username>\ArcGIS\My Survey Designs
Note:If a previous version of Survey123 Connect is already installed, you will be prompted and asked if you want to continue.
Install the Survey123 field app
The Survey123 field app installation file is also available for Windows and can be downloaded from the Survey123 Resources page and installed in the same way as Survey123 Connect.
Once the installation is complete, a desktop shortcut named ArcGIS Survey123 is created. The installation location for all Survey123 files on the desktop is the same as for Survey123 Connect.
Survey data files are located in the following places:
- iOS—On My iPad/Survey123/ArcGIS or On My iPhone/Survey123/ArcGIS
Note:On Windows, if a previous version of ArcGIS Survey123 is already installed, you will be prompted and asked if you want to continue. On Android and iOS, previous versions of ArcGIS Survey123 will automatically be overwritten.
Unattended installation and uninstallation
When you install Survey123 Connect or the Survey123 field app on Windows, you're also provided with script files to help perform future unattended installations or uninstallations.
To prepare for these actions, follow these steps after first installing the app on one device, using Survey123 Connect as an example:
- Browse to the location where the app was installed, which, by default on Windows, is C:\Users\<username>\Applications\ArcGIS\ArcGISSurvey123Connect.
- Copy the following files to another location on your device, a network folder, or USB drive; for example, create a folder named InstallScripts on your desktop:
- When the time comes to install a new version of Survey123 Connect, copy the app installation file to your created InstallScripts folder, and rename the file to a name that will remain constant, for example, Survey123ConnectInstallFile.exe.
Once this location has been established, the .qs and script files don't change. To perform unattended installations and uninstallations, only the installation files will need to change.
If you have multiple apps that are based on AppStudio on your computer, you only need one copy of silent-install-controller.qs and silent-uninstall-controller.qs. Copy only the different silent-uninstall-install-appName script files to your created InstallScripts folder alongside the .qs files.
By default, the unattended installation and uninstallation will be performed in the background, with no user interface to show progress. To display a user interface for these unattended installations and uninstallations, add the command line parameter showui=true when running the script files.
If your scripts are from a version earlier than Survey123 3.10, update your scripts to the latest version to ensure that hiding the interface is the default behavior.
To uninstall the app using these scripts, browse to your created InstallScripts folder in a command window and enter the following command:
The period at the end is important, as it indicates that nothing will be installed.
Install only, or uninstall and install
To install the app, browse to your created InstallScripts folder in a command window and enter this command:
The same command uninstalls all existing versions of the app before installing the new version, allowing you to upgrade the app with one command.
Install the Survey123 website
The Survey123 website can be installed alongside a deployment of ArcGIS Enterprise to support a disconnected environment, or for organizations to host the website on their own infrastructure. The following are included in the installation:
- Survey123 website for management of surveys and viewing of survey results
- Survey123 REST API to convert survey configurations (.xlsx files) to forms for use in the Survey123 field and web apps
The file required to install the Survey123 website is downloaded from My Esri and can be installed on the same machine as your Portal for ArcGIS instance or on a stand-alone web server. A system administrator should perform the following:
- Install the downloaded files.
- On Windows, unzip the downloaded file to the machine on which you want to install the Survey123 website, run setup.exe, and complete the wizard installation steps.
- On Linux, extract the contents of the .tar.gz file on the machine on which you want to install the Survey123 website using the command gunzip [filename].tar.gz followed by tar xf [filename].tar in Terminal. Once extracted, run ./Setup in Terminal, and complete the wizard installation steps.
- Run the postinstallation utility and complete the questions. Depending on what authentication method your deployment uses, this step differs. Full details are described in the How To: Install and configure the ArcGIS Survey123 website Knowledge Base article.
- ArcGIS Enterprise with built-in authentication—Launch the wizard at https://localhost:5443/share/post-install.html.
- ArcGIS Enterprise with IWA authentication (on same host URL)—Launch the wizard at https://webadaptorhost.domain.com:5443/share/post-install.html (where webadaptorhost and domain are replaced with information about your server).
- ArcGIS Enterprise with IWA authentication (on different host URL)—Follow manual postinstallation steps in the How To: Install and configure the ArcGIS Survey123 website Knowledge Base article.
If you receive a security warning in your browser, accept the warning and continue to the web page to complete the postinstallation steps. The postinstallation steps address the warning.
- Click Submit to complete the following:
- Update the config.json file.
- Import your certificate files to the ~\ArcGIS\Survey123website\server\cert\ folder.
- Append your Survey123 enterprise host URL as a redirect URI to the survey123hub AppID.
For more information, see the following related Knowledge Base articles: