There are two components to Survey123 that you need to install: Survey123 Connect on a desktop to create surveys, and the Survey123 field app on a device to collect survey data.
Install ArcGIS Survey123 Connect
Download the Survey123 Connect installation file for your operating system: Windows, macOS, or Ubuntu Linux from the Survey123 Resources page.
Double-click the file to install, and do the following:
- Click Next.
- Choose the installation folder (the default is preferred).
- Accept the license agreement.
- Nominate the start menu name.
- Click Install.
The application files are located in the user folder under \Applications\ArcGIS\ArcGISSurvey123. On Windows, this would be as follows:
On Mac and Linux, this would be as follows:
Typically you will not edit these files. If you want to uninstall Survey123 Connect, browse to this folder and choose Uninstall ArcGISSurvey123.
Survey files are located in the user folder under C:\Users\UserName\ArcGIS\My Survey Designs (on Windows), or Home\ArcGIS\My Survey Designs (on Mac and Linux).
Install the Survey123 field app
The Survey123 field app is also available for Windows, macOS, and Linux. To install Survey123 on a desktop, do the following:
- Download the Survey123 installation file for your operating system from the Survey123 Resources page.
- Double-click the file to install.
Once the installation is complete, a desktop shortcut named ArcGIS Survey123 is created. The installation location for all Survey123 files on the desktop is the same as for Survey123 Connect.
Unattended uninstall and install
When you install Survey123 Connect or the Survey123 field app on Windows, macOS, or Ubuntu, you're also provided with script files to help perform future unattended uninstallations or installations. To prepare for these actions, follow these steps after first installing the app, using Survey123 Connect as an example:
- Browse to the location where the app was installed, which, by default, is ~Users\UserName\Applications\ArcGIS\ArcGISSurvey123Connect.
- Copy the following files to another location on your computer, for example, \InstallScripts:
- When the time comes to install a new version of Survey123 Connect, copy the app installation file to \InstallScripts, and rename the file to a name that will remain constant, for example, Survey123ConnectInstallFile.exe.
Once this location has been established, the .qs and script files don't change. To perform unattended installations and uninstallations, only the installation files will need to change.
If you have multiple apps that are based on AppStudio on your computer, you only need one copy of silent-install-controller.qs and silent-uninstall-controller.qs. Copy only the different silent-uninstall-install-appName script files to \InstallScripts alongside the .qs files.
By default the unattended installation and uninstallation will be performed in the background, with no user interface to show progress. To display a user interface for these unattended installs and uninstalls, add the command line parameter showui=true when running the script files.
If your scripts are from prior to Survey123 version 3.10, update your scripts to the latest version to ensure that hiding the interface is the default behavior.
To uninstall the app using these scripts, browse to \InstallScripts in a command window and enter the following command:
Mac or Ubuntu:
The period at the end is important, as it indicates that nothing will be installed.
Uninstall and install, or install only
To install the app, browse to the folder in a command window and enter this command:
Mac or Ubuntu:
The same command uninstalls all existing versions of the app before installing the new version, allowing you to upgrade the app with one command.
Install the Survey123 website
The Survey123 website can be installed alongside a deployment of ArcGIS Enterprise to support a disconnected environment, or for organizations to host the website on their own infrastructure. The following are included in the installation:
- Survey123 website for management of surveys and viewing of survey results.
- Survey123 REST API to convert survey configurations (.xlsx files) to forms for use in the Survey123 field and web apps.
The file required to install the Survey123 website is downloaded from My Esri and can be installed on the same machine as your Portal for ArcGIS instance or on a stand-alone web server. A system administrator should perform the following:
- Unzip the downloaded file to the machine on which you want to install the Survey123 website, run setup.exe, and complete the wizard installation steps.
- Run the post installation and complete the questions. Depending on what authentication method your deployment uses, this step differs. Full details are described in the How-To: Install and configure the ArcGIS Survey123 website Knowledge Base article.
- ArcGIS Enterprise with built in authentication—Launch the wizard at https://localhost:5443/share/post-install.html.
- ArcGIS Enterprise with IWA authentication (on same host URL)—Launch the wizard at https://webadaptorhost.domain.com:5443/share/post-install.html (where webadaptorhost and domain are replaced with information about your server).
- ArcGIS Enterprise with IWA authentication (on different host URL)—Follow manual post install steps in the How-To: Install and configure the ArcGIS Survey123 website Knowledge Base article.
If you receive a security warning in your browser, accept the warning and continue to the web page to complete the post-installation steps. The post-installation steps address the warning.
- Click Submit to complete the following:
- Update the config.json file.
- Import your certificate files to the Survey123Enterprise\server\dist\cert folder.
- Append your Survey123 enterprise host URL as a redirect URI to the survey123hub AppID.
For more information, see the following related Knowledge Base articles: