ArcGIS for SharePoint works directly with ArcGIS, allowing you to search for content in your organization and, if enabled by your administrator, public content published by the GIS community, including Esri, local governments, and agencies around the world. Adding data from ArcGIS is a quick way to add content to a map to complement existing business data. For example, you may have data showing proposed store locations and want to add a household income layer from ArcGIS for those areas to get a better understanding of the potential site neighborhoods.
To add a layer from ArcGIS, do the following:
- Place the map in edit mode.
Only layers that are added while the ArcGIS for SharePoint web part is in edit mode are saved with the map.
- Optionally, Sign in to ArcGIS.
- From the map tools, select Layers .
The Layers pane appears.
- In the Layers pane, click the ArcGIS button.
- Search for a layer to add to the map in any of the following ways:
- From the drop-down menu, choose an area of ArcGIS to search.
- Type one or more keywords in the Search text box and press Enter.
To search using tags, type the keyword tags followed by the name of the tag you want to find; for example, type tags:myTag. The tags keyword must be lowercase.
- Within the area you selected, scroll to browse available maps and services.
- Use advanced keyword searches to narrow the results by specifying how you want to search for an item. For details, see Browse and search content.
The ArcGIS data pane shows the results of the search.
If your organization's administrator has restricted the ability to search for content outside of your organization, the search only returns results from your organization.
- Click the Sort button to sort the results.
Depending on where you are searching, you can sort the results by relevance, title, owner, date modified, or view count.
- Click the Filter button and specify the filtering parameters for the results.
- Turn on the Only show content within map area toggle button to restrict the search results to the current map extent.
- Filter by item type or date modified. Click to expand a section and choose an option. Click Clear to remove the filter.
- In the search results, click a service to view detailed information about it. Click the name link to view the author's profile in ArcGIS. Click Add to Favorites to save it in My Favorites.
- Find the service you want and click its Add button .
You can also add the layer by opening the layer details and clicking Add to map. Click either button again to remove the layer from the map.
A layer containing the data is added to the map and the map view zooms to display the full extent of the layer. The layer is listed in the layer list.
Depending on the data you add, you may consume ArcGIS credits. To help you estimate how many credits you will use, see Understand credits.
- Only operational layers and web maps are added to the map; basemaps are not included.
- Click Back when you finish adding layers from ArcGIS to return to the layer list.