The ArcGIS for Power BI selection tools are used to help you interact with other Microsoft Power BI visualizations and select locations on the map.
Click the Select features button to display the selection tools pane.
There are multiple ways to select locations on the map. If the map contains more than one layer, you can select data points on the active layer.
Note:You can select a maximum of 250 data points at a time.
Clicking data locations on the map selects them and triggers interactions with other map visualizations, such as tooltips, and other Power BI visualizations, such as graphs, charts, and so forth.
|Select a single location|
|Select by rectangle|
|Select by circle|
|Select by polygon|
|Select by freehand polygon|
When a multiple location selection tool is active (Rectangle, Circle, Polygon, or Freehand Polygon), you cannot pan the map; press Esc to cancel drawing and pan the map. To resume selecting, click a selection tool.
Selection tools are available in both Author mode (designers) and Reading view (consumers).
To select locations on the map and trigger interactions between the map and other visualizations, do the following:
- Open an ArcGIS for Power BI map-enabled report or dashboard and click the map to activate it.
- If necessary, click the Map tools button to display the tools.
- From the map tools, click the Select features button .
The selection tools pane appears.
- Choose a layer from the Active layer drop-down menu.
- To make a selection on the map, do one of the following:
- To select a single location, click the location on the map. The Single tool is active by default. To select more locations, press the Ctrl key and click additional locations on the map.
- To select multiple locations from an area on the map, click the Rectangle , Circle , Polygon , or Freehand polygon tool. Draw your selection shape on the map. To add more locations to the shape, press the Ctrl key and click those locations or extend your shape. You can select a maximum of 250 locations at a time. (Infographics cards accept a maximum of 100 locations.)
- To select locations on a reference layer or buffer/drive time layer, ensure the layer is selected from the Active layer drop-down menu. Click the Interact with Power BI Visuals check box if you want your map selections to update charts, graphs, and other Power BI visualizations; leave this unchecked if you want to update only map infographics cards. Select locations with any of the selection tools.
- If you styled your map with the Heat map theme or Clustering, selection tools and pop-ups are not available. Change the map style and try again.
- When the time slider on a time-enabled map is playing the animation, you cannot select locations on the map. While the animation is paused, you can select locations that are visible on the map. Click the Play/Pause, Previous, or Next button, or move the slider handles to view and select locations from a different time interval. Previously selected locations are cleared when the new time interval appears.
Selected locations appear highlighted on the map. Unselected locations on the map are unavailable, and the contents of related visualizations—such as infographics, charts, and graphs—update to reflect the information pertaining only to the selected locations.
- To clear the entire selection, click the Clear selection tool . You can also do any of the following to deselect locations:
- To clear the entire selection, click an empty area of the basemap or a polygon that does not contain data locations.
- To deselect multiple locations, make sure one of the multiple location selection tools is active. Press the Ctrl key and draw a shape where there are currently selected locations on the map. Locations inside the shape are deselected.
Select locations on a reference or buffer/drive time layer
Reference and buffer/drive-time layers add context to your Power BI data. When you use the selection tools to isolate locations on a data layer, Power BI visualizations, such as charts and graphs, automatically update to show information pertaining to the selected locations. When you use these tools to isolate locations on a reference layer or buffer/drive time layer, you can choose whether or not to update Power BI visualizations.
To select locations on a reference or buffer/drive time layer, do the following:
- From your ArcGIS for Power BI map, click the Select features button .
The selection tools pane appears.
- Choose a reference layer or buffer/drive time layer from the Active layer drop-down menu.
The Interact with Power BI Visuals check box appears on the selection tools pane; it is selected by default.
- Click to uncheck this check box if you do not want the locations you select to automatically update your Power BI visualizations.
- Select locations with any of the selection tools.
Selected locations are highlighted on the map and unselected locations are not available. Power BI visualizations are updated if you included that interaction.