ArcGIS Maps for Power BI includes an integrated search tool that combines resources and shows suggestions, allowing you to efficiently find new locations to add to your map. The integrated search uses the ArcGIS World Geocoding Service to find locations. When searching for a location, you can enter an address, place, or point of interest.
When you choose one of the search results, a symbol appears on the map, and the map automatically zooms to the location. A tooltip appears when you click the symbol, showing information about that location.
Search for a location
To search for a new location to add to the map, do the following:
- From the map tools, click Search .
To display the map tools, click the Map tools button .
The Search pane appears.
- Type keywords in the search box.
Keywords can include addresses, places, and points of interest.
As you type, similar recent searches or suggestions based on similar keywords appear.
- Choose the result that matches the location you want and click Close.
A symbol appears on the map, and the map automatically zooms to the location. Pins remain in place on the map only during the current session; you cannot save a pinned location with the map.
The pinned location also appears as a layer in the Layers list; you can rename the layer, show or hide it, or remove it from the map, as you can with other layers.
For more information, see Work with layers.
Modify a pinned location
As a report designer, you can turn the Search feature on or off and change the color of the pin used to show the location on the map.
To modify a pin, do the following:
- Click the search results layer in the Layers list to activate it.
- In the Visualizations pane, click the Format button to display the formatting tools.
- Expand the Search section.
- To turn off the Search feature, move the slider to the Off position.
Report consumers do not have access to the Search feature.
- To change the color of a pin, click the Color drop-down menu and choose a new color.
The pin updates on the map.
- To view information about the location, click the location on the map.
- To delete a location, click Remove to remove the layer from the Layers list.
The search results layer is removed from the Layers list and the symbol no longer appears on the map.