Temporal data includes time and date information for geographic locations. If your data contains temporal values (date, time, or date and time), you can add these to your map and run an animation that shows how patterns in the data change over time.
Enable time animation
To enable time animation on a map, do the following:
- Create a new ArcGIS Maps for Power BI-enabled report or open an existing one.
- If necessary, click Edit Report to display the visualization controls.
Note:Data must be formatted as Date or Date/Time using the Power BI modeling tools. For more information, see Prepare your data.
- Add location data that includes time and date information to the map visualization.
- Place a date or time value from your dataset into the visualization's Time field well.
A time slider appears at the bottom of the map, using the default options.
- To remove the time animation from the map, remove the field from the Time field well.
Use the time slider
The time slider appears as an animation control overlaid on the map. When you click Play, the animation shows locations on the map in the current time interval. The time slider divides the time data into 10 intervals. When the animation plays, each interval is shown on the map for two seconds.
There are several controls you can use to manipulate a time animation.
- Click Play to begin the animation. When the animation is playing, this changes to a Pause button.
When the time animation is playing, you cannot select locations on the map; selection is available only when the animation is paused, and you can only select locations visible on the map during that time interval. Click Play, forward, or back buttons, or move the slider handles to view and select locations from a different time interval. Previously selected locations are cleared when the new time interval appears.
- Click Previous to move the animation to the previous time interval. This control is active only when the animation is playing.
- Click Next to move the animation to the next time interval. This control is active only when the animation is playing.
- This area shows the beginning date of the total date range in the dataset.
- The yellow slider indicates the interval currently visible on the map. Drag the handles at either end of the slider to change the number of visible intervals.
- This area shows the end date of the total date range in the dataset.