ArcGIS connections are available in Insights desktop.
ArcGIS connections can be created in ArcGIS Insights desktop using ArcGIS Enterprise and ArcGIS Online accounts. ArcGIS connections are displayed on the Connections tab of the home page and under the Connections heading in the Add to page window.
ArcGIS connections can be made to ArcGIS Online or ArcGIS Enterprise 10.6.1 or later. An Insights in ArcGIS Online account or Insights in ArcGIS Enterprise account using ArcGIS Enterprise 10.7.1 or later is required for a primary connection.
One connection can be made to an ArcGIS Online account, whereas unlimited connections can be made to ArcGIS Enterprise.
Create an ArcGIS connection
Use the following steps to create an ArcGIS connection:
- If a workbook is open, save your work and click the Home button to return to the home page. If you are launching Insights desktop, you will be brought to the home page automatically.
If you are launching Insights desktop for the first time, you will have to activate your license before you will be brought to the home page.
- Click the Connections tab .
- Click New Connection.
A menu displays the types of connections that can be created.
- Choose ArcGIS as the connection type.
The Get started window appears.
- Enter the name you want to give the ArcGIS connection (for example, the name of the ArcGIS organization) and the URL for the organization.
- Optionally check the box for Make this my primary ArcGIS connection. For more information on primary connections, see Understand ArcGIS connections.
- Click Continue to login.
- Enter the credentials for your ArcGIS account associated with the organization URL you entered on the previous page. Depending on the account, the credentials could be a user name and password, your enterprise account credentials, or a security certificate.
- Optionally check the box for Keep me signed in.
You will remain signed in to the ArcGIS connection after you have closed and reopened Insights desktop. This option is not available for connections to accounts that use enterprise logins.
- Click Sign In.
The ArcGIS connection is listed on the Connections page.
Edit an ArcGIS connection
You can edit an existing ArcGIS connection, including the name and credentials. Use the following steps to edit an ArcGIS connection:
- From the home page, click the Connections tab .
- Click the name of the ArcGIS connection to be edited.
- To change the name of the ArcGIS connection, edit the Name parameter.
The name can also be changed using the Rename button .
- To make the connection your primary connection, check Make this my primary ArcGIS connection.
Checking Make this my primary ArcGIS connection will unassign the existing primary connection. The connection will still be available on the Connections tab as a data-only connection.
You must have one primary connection at all times. Therefore, you cannot uncheck Make this my primary ArcGIS connection for the existing primary connection.
- To sign in to the connection, click Sign in and enter your credentials. To change the credentials for the connection, click Sign in as a different user and enter the new credentials.
The Sign in as a different user button is only available if you are already signed in to an account. If you want to switch an ArcGIS Online account to an account in a different organization, you must be signed in to the original account, then use Sign in as a different user to switch your credentials to a different organization.
- Click Save or Sign in to apply the changes.
Sign in to an ArcGIS connection
If you did not check Keep me signed in when you created an ArcGIS connection, or if you are connected to an account that uses an enterprise login, you will have to sign in to the connection each time you relaunch Insights desktop before you can use data from that connection. To sign in to an ArcGIS connection, locate the connection item on the Connections page and click the Sign in button . Enter the credentials or choose the certificate required to sign in to the account associated with the connection.
Sign out of or delete an ArcGIS connection
To sign out of an ArcGIS connection, locate the connection item on the Connections page and click the Sign out button . The item will remain available on the Connections page.
If you are using Insights desktop and sign out of a connection that uses web-tier authentication (IWA, PKI, or LDAP), you will automatically be signed out of all connections with web-tier authentication.
To delete an ArcGIS connection, locate the connection item on the Connections page and click the Delete button . The item will be removed from the Connections page.