Content refers to maps, datasets, apps, documents, and other items. For a full list of supported items Prepare your content.
Items do not include images, videos, and external links, so you don't need to upload them or share them to groups. Instead, follow steps provided in Add text and images and Embed video, social media, and iframes to share these types of content on a site.
Where does content show up?
Content added to a site or initiative are available in the following places:
- Unified search experience—People who have access to a site can use the site's search bar to discover content. Private audiences will be able to find content that has only been shared with them, even on public sites.
- With your teams—You can share content privately with members of your core team so that they can review and make edits.
- An item's preview page—Most items that are spatial data include an item preview page. A person can view an item's preview page by clicking the item's title in search results. This page displays spatial data on a map and a list of attributes which can be sorted and filtered. It also includes access to the API and option to download.
- Site editing cards—Display individual items for people to find on a site or page, or choose an icon to visualize groups of related items by category (for example, hydrology, boundaries, or forestry). For more information, see Display apps, data, and web maps.
Who can add content?
Content can be added to a site or initiative at anytime by the following people:
How do I add content
To add content to a site or initiative, you can upload items, create something new, or share existing items. Content added to a site or initiative are automatically shared to the content group. You can also add additional groups using the Groups Manager. For more information, see Add content to a site or initiative.
Follow these steps to access the Content Library.
- Sign in to ArcGIS Hub.
- Click Manage on the Sites card on the Overview page.
- Open the site you want to work with.
- Click the site drop-down menu in the edit navigation bar and choose Content Library.
- If you have privileges to edit an item, click the edit button to the left of the page to go to the item's Overview page in ArcGIS Online. Here you can edit the item's name, thumbnail, description, tags, and sharing controls.
Note:By default, any member of a site's or initiative's core team can edit an item in the content library if that item is shared to the core team group. To edit items belonging to other groups, a person must either be an administrator or group owner. Members of groups that have been configured with the update capability can also edit items.
Follow this suggested workflow to add your own content to a site or initiative.
If you don't have a site or initiative yet, learn how to create one by following the steps in Create a site.