Open data is a capability of ArcGIS Online that enables organizations to federate their data and make content more discoverable.
As of July 2019, open data is no longer a requirement of ArcGIS Hub. Organizations can share public data for download without enabling open data or sharing items to open data groups. ArcGIS Hub is automatically included with a subscription to ArcGIS Online and can be accessed by Creator user types with the privileges to create sites and share content.
When to enable groups for open data
Open data requires an ArcGIS Online administrator to enable the ArcGIS Online subscription for open data before other members can enable existing and new groups for open data. This workflow is only necessary for organizations that want to federate their data with external catalogs, such as data.gov, or if they want to make their public content to be available in search results on hub.arcgis.com or search queries entered on a site's global navigation search bar.
Enable groups to use open data
To enable a group to use open data, an administrator must first enable your organization for open data. Then, members who have the user privilege to make groups available to Open Data can enable individual groups for open data by following these steps.
To enable groups to use open data, complete the following steps:
- Sign in to the ArcGIS Online subscription that your organization uses to access ArcGIS Hub. You can sign in on your organization's ArcGIS Online home page or at https://www.arcgis.com/home/signin.html.
For more information, see Sign in with an ArcGIS login.
- Once signed in, click Groups in the primary navigation bar at the top of the page.
- From the list of Groups, find the group you want to enable for open data.
Note:If you need to create a group, you can follow steps provided in the Create groups documentation. While creating the group, be sure to select the Allow this group to be accessed in Open Data sites check box under Open Data before you create the group.
- Click the name of the group to open it.
- Ensure that the group is shared with the public by looking at Viewable By under Details. It should be set to Everyone (public).
Note:If the group isn't public yet, you can change it by clicking Settings and choosing Everyone (public) under Who can view this group?
- Under Settings, scroll to the bottom of the page and click the Allow this group to be accessed in Open Data sites checkbox under Open Data.
- Click Save.