Esri U.S. Market Potential data provides details about what type of goods, services, activities consumers use and demand. The data includes consumer attitudes on topics such as spending, health, and the environment. The database is based on survey data from MRI-Simmons and provides the expected number of consumers and a Market Potential Index (MPI) for thousands of items in the following categories:
- Automobiles and Automotive Products
- Baby Products, Toys, and Games
- Civic Activities and Political Affiliation
- Clothing, Shoes, and Accessories
- Electronics and Internet
- Financial and Insurance
- Grocery and Alcoholic Beverages
- Health and Personal Care
- Home Improvement, Lawn and Garden
- Household Goods, Furniture, and Appliances
- Leisure Activities and Lifestyle
- Media - Magazines and Newspapers
- Media - Radio and Other Audio
- Media - TV Viewing
- Pets and Pet Products
- Phones and Yellow Pages
- Psychographics and Advertising
- Psychographics and Food
- Psychographics and Lifestyle
- Psychographics and Media
- Psychographics and Shopping
Esri Market Potential data is available for:
- 2023 (in 2020 Census geography)
- 2022 (in 2020 Census geography).
- 2021 (in 2010 Census geography).
Esri Market Potential data is updated annually.
Esri uses the following methodology for Market Potential data:
The following sample Market Potential reports are available:
- Electronics and Internet Market Potential (PDF)
- Finances Market Potential (PDF)
- Health and Beauty Market Potential (PDF)
- Pets and Products Market Potential (PDF)
- Restaurant Market Potential (PDF)
- Retail Market Potential (PDF)
- Sports and Leisure Market Potential (PDF)
For more information about reports and the products that contain them, visit ArcGIS Apps.
For information about the number of credits needed to run reports, see Credits by capability.
View the release notes for Esri's 2023 Market Potential data in the Esri 2023 U.S. Demographics Release Notes (PDF).
The variable lists for Esri's Market Potential data are in the following data catalogs:
Esri's Market Potential data is available in various products including the following:
- ArcGIS Business Analyst Web App (view a sample infographic), ArcGIS Business Analyst Pro, ArcGIS Business Analyst Enterprise, and ArcGIS Business Analyst Mobile App.
- ArcGIS Business Analyst Pro.
- ArcGIS Community Analyst
- ArcGIS for Microsoft 365—Add data or an infographics card, or LISTDATACOLLECTIONS.
- ArcGIS GeoEnrichment Service.
- ArcGIS Online—Browse maps and layers, and Enrich Layer.
- Buy Esri Reports online.
For information about purchasing Esri's Market Potential data as a stand-alone dataset, contact email@example.com.
Learn how to use and interpret Market Potential data with the How to use and interpret Esri's US Market Potential data tutorial.
Abbreviations and acronyms are sometimes used to describe Market Potential variables. For clarification use the glossary to familiarize yourself with the definitions.