The 3D Mapping template is designed to create detailed 3D colorized point clouds and 3D textured meshes. Follow the steps below to process a sample 3D mapping project.
Download sample data
Sample data for the 3D Mapping template can be found on the sample data page. For the 3D Mapping template, a collection of images over an office park in Germany is available. To download the sample data, complete the following steps:
- Go to the sample data page.
- In the 3D Mapping table, click Download.
- Extract Small_Buildings.zip to a convenient location on your computer.
Create a project
To create your 3D Mapping project, complete the following steps:
- Start Drone2Map.
- Sign in using your ArcGIS Online organization credentials.
- Select the 3D Mapping template and click Next.
- Provide a name for your project and choose a location to save it or accept the default.
- Click Add Images or Add Folder and browse to the location of the sample images folder, select the folder or images within the folder and click OK.
- Click Create to create the project.
- On the Home tab, click Options. Notice which tabs are checked by default. In 3D Mapping projects, the Initial, Dense, and 3D Products steps run by default. To generate an orthomosaic or DSM as part of this template, check the box next to 2D Products and check the boxes next to the 2D products you want to create.
- Click the 3D Products tab. In the Create Point Clouds section, make sure SLPK and LAS are checked. In the Create Textured Meshes section, make sure SLPK is checked. Optionally, check additional options to generate more products. Click OK.
- Click Start to begin processing.
View the results
When processing is complete, your SLPK mesh and SLPK point cloud are added to your 3D Map and Contents pane. If necessary, change your view to the 3D Map by clicking the 3D Map tab at the top of your map display.
View the office park images by using the left mouse button to pan, the wheel button to zoom in and out, and X + left mouse button to tilt and rotate the display.